Installing an HVAC unit in the basement

Old 09-20-09, 08:42 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing an HVAC unit in the basement

I hope I am posting this in the right section in the forum.

I am planning to finish my basement and had a few questions. Thanks in advance for your response.

My basement space is about 1000 sq.ft of space split into 4 rooms of 120 sq.ft, 150, sq.ft, 250 sq.ft, 250 sq.ft and stairs and walkways of another 150 sq.ft. here are the questions that I have.

a) Should I get an Electric or an HVAC unit?
b) Should I even attempt to tap into the HVAC ducting of the main level unit to avoid getting a new unit? The main level unit is a 2T unit.
c) If I get a new unit, what should the load be? 1.5 T or 2 T?
d) What would the approximate cost of installing including the unit cost/ducting etc...This is for budgetary purposes?
e) Should I look for any particular brand for the HVAC unit?

I live in the Atlanta area, if that matters for estimating the load conditions.

Thanks,
Mallik

Old 09-22-09, 12:12 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It is hard to answer your question without look at your house and the basement. but in general, HVAC(central) is better than electrical unit. Do not tap into the existing one, that will mess up everything. it is for basement only, 1.5 ton may be enough since basement is not that hot. roughly, i mean roughly, $5000-$6000 for everything. All the above answers may not be correct (it really depends), but the next one is 100% correct: Any make is fine, (14-17 seer, depends on how much you want to pay), but a good installer is much more important.

Old 09-22-09, 07:22 PM
Have you considered a zoning system. May be the way to go.

Old 09-23-09, 01:43 PM
M
I correct myself, I meant gas heated HVAC vs Electric heated HVAC. What would the cost of the unit & ducting be? and the labor involved? I read somewhere that the contractors add 20% to the cost of unit as their margin. Would I be able to purchase the unit myself or is it only sold to licensed contractors?

I guess the materials are the actual HVAC unit, ducting, the vents & registers? Would the break up be $4000 for a 1.5T unit and $1000 for labor?

Old 09-23-09, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You should be able to have your local HVAC contractors come out and give you recommendations and estimates at no cost to you. That would be my advice as no one on this forum could really answer your question without seeing it, as "clocert" said. And he is right, the installer is the most important thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: