Is it just me or does this sound crooked

Old 09-23-09, 11:31 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it just me or does this sound crooked

The AC company that my homeowners insurance company called says I need to replace my evaporator coils because their leaking.

Only, they don't know whether the coils are actually leaking because they won't do a leak test. They can't do a leak test because there's no freon in the system. They're saying there not authorized to put any freon into the system so that they can do a leak test.

So they don't really know if the coils are even leaking. At the same time, they want to charge me extra for disposing of the non-existent freon in the system and evaporator. Of course there is a healthy installation charge.

BTW they have a D+ rating from the BBB.

Old 09-23-09, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Call your insurance company and tell them they are being ripped off...them..not you. You probably pay a minimum up to the deductable I assume?

Yes, that sounds like a bunch of BS. I'm not a HVAC tech, but the system has to be tested and sniffed before they just go replacing stuff willy nilly.

Now, why would they think the evap coils? Why not condenser coils, or lineset, or test connections..or or or?

Old 09-23-09, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That is rediculous. Call and complain and insist on another company.

Old 09-23-09, 11:50 AM
I could write a book on home warranty companies and the hacks that work for them. Do yourself a favor and call a real HVAC company or suffer the consequenses. Sorry to be so blunt, thats just the way it is.

Good luck

Old 09-23-09, 12:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
I used to have a neighbor that was a HVAC tech and if I understood correctly, he always pressure tested a system with nitrogen before filling it with freon.

Old 09-23-09, 01:06 PM
The correct thing to do would be to put pressure on the system with nitrogen and a trace of refrigerant, you can the perform an electronic leak detection to locate your leak or leaks.

Once the leak or leaks have been found you can then decide on which course of action to take.

As stated earlier, I wouldn't let a home warranty company service provider mow my lawn.

Old 09-23-09, 01:27 PM
F
Run for the hills dude....

Old 09-23-09, 02:04 PM
S
with freon leaks oil droplets leak out also...any oil residue in the condensate pan or on top of the heat exchanger.those guys could of pulled a VAC on the empty system to see if it pulls MICRONS and how long it holds that number after 1 to 2 hour pull.the model tags on both the condenser and evap section should have test pressure from the factory showing..if the system is 22 then a 300 psi nitro test will do the job with a freon trace...check around the brazed lines and locking nuts for oil.had you been getting freon added since last year?

Old 09-25-09, 11:46 AM
T
We have been having to add freon, but not to this extent. The system never cycled on and off every ten seconds due there not being enough freon to keep the low pressure functioning.

Old 09-25-09, 01:06 PM
J
Originally Posted by fatclemenza
Run for the hills dude....

I agree.

Home Warranty? May as well hire the Three Stooges.

Old 10-01-09, 09:21 AM
M
Sounds to me like they are just guessing where the leak is. If the leak is in the evaporator there is no reason for disposing of any left over freon as it can be pumped into the condenser for holding while the repair is made. There IS enough freon in your system to leak test if it is short cycling. If there wasn't it wouldn't be cycling on at all.

I agree with dun11, call a real company!

Old 10-01-09, 12:41 PM
Home Warranty co. are worthless and cheap. Drop the plan and cash out if they cash out. use the money for a real company.

Home Warranty co are not worth the money.

Old 10-02-09, 07:46 AM
V
* * * * * 5 Stars to Dun11.

Everyone else that's posted so far is 100% correct as well.

I'd bet after replacing your complete AHU they'll find the condensor is also leaking and have to replace that as well.

Why can't people just do their jobs correctly anymore?
Where did we go wrong?

Call your insurance Co. and tell them you want someone else.
That's the best thing to do.
Don't know what your deductible is but could be the repair 'could' be less than the deductible.

Old 10-02-09, 10:33 AM
C
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Well, I believe all you folks have your bases, but I still think there are exceptions. I have had a couple of not too bad experiences lately with these warranty services. I paid $75 each for a $200 and $380 repairs. by talking to the tech, I understand that they have to pay $300 per month to the warranty company in order to get businees from the warranty company. So if they don't get any business calls, they lose $300 per month. that's warranty company's rule, you accept it you paid $300/month, if not, they will find some one else, there are lots of firms want to do this job. You can see why these service company is trying to charge the warranty company as much as they can. In fact these service firms are the local firms that you see in your phone book, if you try to call one yourslef, you may be calling the same one. So, if you want to save money for the warranty company, the best way to do this is talk smart first, so they won't rip you off, of couse not every one can do this, so if you feel something is wrong, ask the warranty comapny for another service firm, usually they contracted more than one service firms in the same area..(one more point, most people get this warranty free when they purchase the house (seller paid the first year warranty service), so use it smartly, you have nothing to lose anyway)

Old 10-11-09, 07:06 AM
M
home warranty companys pay peanuts so the contractor has to make up the difference somewhere and guess where that somewhere is ask about the cash out price then hire your own contractor and pay the difference

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: