Indoor Blower problem

Old 09-28-09, 02:20 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Indoor Blower problem

Hey,

My house was built in 2000. I live in TX, and have the split unit inside/outside. The indoor blower basically wont turn on in Auto. Sometimes in "on" I can get it to engage, but most of the time not. The oustide unit spins up fine, and I can hear the fluid being sent through the pipes into the inside unit. But basically the blower wont engage to distirbute the cold air through the house. Also if I turn the setting to heat with the fan to "auto" everything works fine.

Any ideas?

Gary

Old 09-28-09, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You would need to verify you are getting power to the motor with the unit set in cool and calling. Do you have a meter and know how to use it?

Old 09-28-09, 10:12 AM
A
Yes I have a multimeter, I'm not to familiar with what you mean by "calling" however.

Old 09-28-09, 10:42 AM
C
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Means when you set the temp lower than your room temp, it calls for the cool/fan to run. another word, at that time you should check to see if the fan gets the power or not. May be a control board issue....

Old 09-28-09, 10:57 AM
A
alright, now am I shooting through the t-stat? Or at the blower?

Old 09-28-09, 11:08 AM
C
Set the low temp at t-stat, so the a/c suppose to run, if the blower is not, check to see if the blower terminal gets the power. be careful, since the electricity is on at that time.

Old 09-28-09, 12:04 PM
A
Sorry for the delay, but this is what I got;

three wires running out of the blower

red: capped
purple - runs to the TB
black - runs to the blower timer relay

shot purple and black in AC and DC. got nothing in DC, so obviously it's AC powered(sorry helicopters have both) in AC i have 9.0 ~ 9.3 volts. Am I shooting the right wires? Or did I misunderstand what I was supposed to do. By the way this was with the T-stat set to cool (75 degrees, it's 85 in the house right now) and the fan to auto.

Old 09-28-09, 12:47 PM
C
Looks like the blower does not get the power. this may be a control board problem. I am not sure if control board replacement is a DIY item, may be other people(DUN11) can give you some advice.

Old 09-28-09, 01:13 PM
A
Alright cool man, I appreciate the help so far. I believe I have located the control board inside. Doesn't look to difficult compared to what I do. Any other info you could provide for me, or anything else you can think of to trouble shoot just let me know. Thanks

Gary

Old 09-29-09, 03:08 AM
A
Can anyone else confirm this?

Old 09-29-09, 04:17 AM
Did you have the door panel off at the blower when checking, if so did you have the door switch jumped out?

Check the low speed winding of the motor. Is the motor hot to the touch?

Old 09-29-09, 09:29 AM
A
Yes the front panel was off. However there is no switch anywhere on the inside or out of the panel or unit itself. It's a Goodman A24-10 Heat Pump/Air Conditioner.

I didn't check to see if the the thing was over heating. Ill run it for a bit and check that to see and get back to you. Also the fan blade in there spins freely in either direction, just to add some more info.

Gary

Old 09-29-09, 09:35 AM
A
Well there is absolutely no heat coming off the blower motor, doesn't even get warmer as I hold my hand on it. Also today I'm only getting straight 4.0 VAC off the wires going to the blower.

Old 09-29-09, 09:43 AM
Do you have power coming out of the board?

Do you have power at the motor?

Old 09-29-09, 09:48 AM
A
I've been shooting the wires that go directly to the motor. I'm shooting right at the black as it comes off the Blower Timer Relay Delay, and at the purple as it comes out of the terminal board. I can shoot directly at the motor if you like, but I can't see losing that much voltage in 12 inches of wire.

I've insepected the wires and none are chaffing or grounding out or cut. Disregard my earlier post, I have yet to find the board yet, I confused it with the the heating element. Just where exactly is the board at?

Old 09-29-09, 09:56 AM
C
Have you checked T-stat itself ? you said the fan worked when you turn the heat on. Is the blower work if you set the t-stat to 'fan' ? At this point, I think either T-stat or control board is your problem, but let's hear some other people's opinion first...

Old 09-29-09, 09:56 AM
Post some pics of what your trying to do. Can you read a wiring diagraghm?

Old 09-29-09, 10:03 AM
A
Not the best picture here, but my digital camera is dead. So heres a webcam shot of it. The two wires I'm shooting come directly from the evaporator blower. the 3rd coming out is a red capped wire. The purple wire to the middle right, and the black wire behind the green and pink one in the center of the picture.

[img=http://img257.imagevenue.com/loc143/th_43718_Snapshot_20090929_6_122_143lo.jpg]

Yes, I am very familiar with wiring schematics.

Old 09-29-09, 12:26 PM
A
Update:

I have got the system working. I apologize to everyone here who was trying to help me and me not knowing what you were talking about. Long story short; I assumed I had a control board in my system, which I do not. So I was always looking for something that didn't exist. The picture in the post below this is ALL the wires in my system, besides what runs to the t-stat and the outside unit.

The blower time delay relay is bad, I fixed it the same way you do on helicopters that have relays, you beat on it untill it works, basically it was stuck. I have ordered another relay from the internet, and it should be here in a few days, at that time I'll replace it and all should be well.

Thanks again to everyone who helped provide knowledge and troubleshooting techniques to disect my problem, I know it's not easy for you guys trying to troubleshoot something without actually seeing it.

Gary

Old 09-29-09, 12:43 PM
Yeah not a good pic, its pretty basic though. Look at the schematic (on back of blower panel) and trace the circuit. I don't know what you mean by "shooting" the wire - checking for continuity?

If you only have three wires its more then likely a single speed motor, need to verify.

If it is, jump R and G at the stat and see if fan runs, if so remove jumper and see if signal is getting to board, if its not - bad stat

Old 09-29-09, 02:54 PM
C
Glad to see you got the fan working now. I did not know you don't have a contral board, most systems built the last 10 years using control board instead of relay. You are lucky, the relay is cheaper and easy to replace. Good luck to you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: