Air handler new motor wiring help

Old 09-29-09, 09:01 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air handler new motor wiring help

I opened up the Air-handler and found the blower wheel bad (My Previous Post). It was wobbling and thats reason for noise. Since its little old (1993), I decided to replace Motor, Wheel and Capacitor. I purchased the parts from local Rheem supplier and after getting home I realized the new motor has different wiring.

My old motor had only 3 wires (Brown, Orange, Black). Brown and Orange connected to Capacitor and Black to Power I believe. The new motor has 5 wires ( Brown, Brown, Purple, Yellow & Black). I understand the Brown & Brown will now connect to Capacitor and black to same old spot, but I don't know where the Purple wire goes and Yellow if that also needs to be connected.

Also the parts store guy gave a 900 rpm motor with 25 mfd cap as opposed to 825 rpm and 15 mfd cap existing items. He said the Rheem recommends the new motor.

• Does it matter if I change the motor and capicitor?
  • The Capacitor has no markings. Does it matter which direction its connected ?

Help is really appreciated.

Below are the images for old/new motor wiring and connection diagrams.

Last edited by miamikk; 09-29-09 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-29-09, 10:11 AM
The differant colors are for differant voltages. What is the voltage supplied to the motor? What are the voltage ranges for the new motor.

Example: New motor 120/208
Yell/Blk would be for 120
Pur/Blk would be for 208

Your new capacitor will not have the wire going to the breaker. Only the 2 browns will be on it. The black will go to the relay and either the purple or yellow will go straight to the breaker where the old orange wire went.

Old 09-29-09, 12:35 PM
M
I just updated the pictures with old/new motor information, wiring diagrams and also the Air Handler wiring diagrams.

I would really appreciate if someone can let me know the connections for new motor.

Old 09-29-09, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Its exactally what "Mattison" said, you will use the Purple and cap the Yellow.

Old 09-29-09, 03:03 PM
M
Thank you for both of you. I connected the 2 browns to Capacitor, black to same old position (relay) and purple to orange. That did fix the problem and the Air handler works fine and air blows like crazy.

I have a new problem. The outside unit does not turn on now. I will start a new thread as its with control wiring.

Once again thankyou for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: