New AC or HVAC?

Old 10-04-09, 07:17 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New AC or HVAC?

My daughter has a 10 yr old R-22 York Diamond 90 HVAC system P3URD14N09501A. The air is a 12 SEER. Back in June 2009 the air conditioner developed a leak and our service man used a sealer to fix the leak. The furnace has been repaired once. About one week ago the air conditioner stopped cooling. Our service man said the compressor is bad. He advised not to replace the compressor but replacing the entire air conditioner system and to think about replacing the entire HVAC system.

Our service man sells Coleman (York) His prices installed:
Air only 13 SEER $3,300
HVAC 13 SEER 95% furnace $5,100
System upgrade to 14 SEER 97% $6,200
His best system 18 SEER 97% with free UV light or Humidifier $10,100.

Talked in general to a local Trane dealer. I don't have any real info yet. His installed prices for a system close to the Diamond 90 she has now is $3,300 for air only and $5,400 for new HVAC system.

I would like to hear some opinions on what we should do. And yes money is an object.

charlie
cgcvette@hotmail .com

Old 10-04-09, 08:49 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Id go with anybody but your guy. The sealer very well could have killed the unit. Thats why the pros don't use them. Might be money well spent to get a 2nd opinion.

Old 10-04-09, 09:15 AM
J
Let's see, the compressor fails roughly 3 months after sealer was added. Hmmmm.

I hope those quotes included a new line set. We certainly don't want any of that sealer in the new compressor.

Old 10-04-09, 11:54 AM
C
All the quote's include a new line set. I hope my asking for help doesn't get bogged down with fault finding. I know the sealer wasn't the best way to go but that is water under the bridge. Like I said money is an object. I understand the need to put the sealer down and I can take the criticism so bring it on but I would also like to hear some opinions on what to do.

charlie

Old 10-04-09, 01:23 PM
10 years old Id replace the system.

Old 10-04-09, 08:01 PM
C
Thanks airman

So you think the whole system should be replaced. With what?
I would like to hear your opinion on which brand to get, Coleman, Trane, or something else. It isn't my intention to start any brand wars. Everyone has a right to their opinion and I respect that. I am asking for yours and others.

charlie

Old 10-05-09, 08:56 AM
Everyone has there brand. Mine is Trane. Saying that, What counts is the install. Most company's that sell the name brand equipment will do a better job on the install. A good install will cost you less to run and have less problems with the equipment. Make sure you get a manual J done (heat load).

Old 10-05-09, 08:59 AM
M
You will have to decide on the brand (can get a lemon out of any of them) just stay with a name brand. I'm partial to Carrier products but that's just me. Can also specify Payne or Bryant in the Carrier line as they are basically just cheaper versions of the same product. Whatever you get make sure it is a 410-A system and do make sure new lines are installed.

R-22 is being phased out like the car refrigerant was years ago and it will be like buying liquid gold soon.

Old 10-05-09, 06:46 PM
C
Thanks for the input guys.
I talked to a Trane Dealer/Installer today. I got some info to share. He priced two systems for me. This is installed price:
Air only XR13 $3,276
System 1; Air XR13 Furnace XB90DV $5,400
System 2; Air XR16 Furnace XV95 $8,500

Thats 13 Vs. 16 seer and 90 Vs. 95%. Is that worth $3000?

charlie

Old 10-06-09, 09:09 AM
C
I disagree, Unless you have a lot of $$ to spend, I would just replace the compressor which shoud be around $1500-1800 the most. I don't know how your line set runs in your house, in most cases, it is hard to fit it in correctly after the house was built. I would just continue use r-22 untill you move, I assume your daughter does not stay in that house forever. So, I would just clean the line, put a new compressor in and recharge with r-22. Other people are correct, r-22 will be more expensive in the future, but should not be that bad within the next 5 years (it is around $250 per 30lb now, may be $700 5 years from now, but I don't think it will cost you thousands, plus you may only need a few lbs, may be not at all if there is no leak)

Old 10-06-09, 10:20 AM
M
Clocert makes a good point but it really boils down to financial situation and other circumstances. If I was going to buy a house I would have it inspected first. When I hired me to go inspect the house one of the things I would point out to myself is the compressor had been changed recently, at which time I would tell myself there could still be problems there and its an R-22 unit.

Just lots to think about here. Its not right or wrong either way, just depends on how you choose to do it knowing your own circumstances.

If your daughter is going to stay in the house for awhile I would replace everything and go with 410-A. On the high efficiency I can tell ya it will save on power bills but will take awhile to offset $3,000.

Old 10-06-09, 11:38 AM
C
Maybe I should clear up something. I may have mislead some by using the expression "my daughter" she is married with two children. Her and her husband had their home built about 10 years ago and plan on living there for many many years. Of course the finial decision is up to them. I was asked to look into it for them since I am retired and have the time Ha Ha. I am just trying with your help to advise them.

The line set is a straight shot through the basement wall to the furnace about 15 feet away. Only two bends one down to the furnace and another into the coil. Very easy to get to and I would think replace.

clocert does make a good point. This is about what I was thinking in the beginning. But with the history of the air system, age, a leak, sealer, 12 Seer, and the price to just replace the compressor I think she should at the lest replace the entire air system.

I would like to stay with our York Dealer/Installer because I like him but I am not happy with how long the York system lasted. My neighbor's Sears system was put in in 1956 and is still running. My Rhem system is only about 25 yrs. old and knock on wood is still running. I don't have the exposure to the number of systems that some of you have but 10 yrs. seems like a short life. And after saying all that maybe airman.1944 and jim-connor were right about the sealer. Maybe I gave my daughter some costly bad advice and the York would still be running in the year 2025.

Again thanks
charlie

Old 10-11-09, 06:38 AM
M
if you do a compressor only the original leak is going to start leaking again did your guy find the leak ,it is not uncommon for a 10 yr old unit to leak at the evaporator coil has he tried a start kit to free up the compressor as it is probably locked up from the leak sealer i would probably replace the condensor evap coil and line set and it would be a 410a unit

Old 10-12-09, 05:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just replace the AC side. You can toss a AHU in later if you need to. What are we saving by going entire system?

Old 10-13-09, 11:07 PM
C
Originally Posted by Motown_HVAC
You will have to decide on the brand (can get a lemon out of any of them) just stay with a name brand. I'm partial to Carrier products but that's just me. Can also specify Payne or Bryant in the Carrier line as they are basically just cheaper versions of the same product. Whatever you get make sure it is a 410-A system and do make sure new lines are installed.

R-22 is being phased out like the car refrigerant was years ago and it will be like buying liquid gold soon.
I guess you never been to the plant in Indy or collierville, tn
Sorry to break it to you but Carrier and Bryant are the same.
read the product data and look at the controllers and the FE is an FE in both. It's the Marketing that is different the top and color.

Oh and Bryant started in 1904 with the gas furnace and carrier in 1915 with the a/c

Old 10-14-09, 03:48 AM
M
Originally Posted by ClassicDave
I guess you never been to the plant in Indy or collierville, tn
Sorry to break it to you but Carrier and Bryant are the same.
read the product data and look at the controllers and the FE is an FE in both. It's the Marketing that is different the top and color.

Oh and Bryant started in 1904 with the gas furnace and carrier in 1915 with the a/c
Maybe you should read it again and a little closer this time with more thought. Get off trying to bash me on old threads.

Old 10-16-09, 08:03 PM
C
Hi

Sorry for seeming unconcerened by not answering any of your post but I've been gone for a while.

No the orginal leak was never found. What is a start kit? If the start kit could get us another year that would be great since she has a large expence right now on her water system. Something that can't wait.

In my orginal post I said,"I would like to hear some opinions on what we should do. And yes money is an object." Well I did get some very good opinions and everone made good points. We have decided to replace the entire AC side only. Still don't know what brand. Is there any advantage for us in replacing it now? The AC would just set there untill late spring.

Thanks to all of you
charlie

Old 10-17-09, 06:33 PM
M
might check when things are real slow for the contractors in your area and save a few bucks but not much . a start kit give the compressor a extra boost of energy through the start windings only on start up might work if compressor is locked from sealer wont work if compressor is shorted out

Old 10-17-09, 06:39 PM
M
Originally Posted by Motown_HVAC
Maybe you should read it again and a little closer this time with more thought. Get off trying to bash me on old threads.
bryant and carrier condensors just look a little different same componets payne made in mexico furnaces all made in indiana

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: