Questions on Heat Pump Choices.

Old 10-13-09, 02:23 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions on Heat Pump Choices.

I am about to replace my old unit that quit and have to make a decision pretty soon because the heat is tough to take. I have narrowed my choices down to the Trane XR15, Carrier Performance 15 or Bryant Preferred 15. The cheapest quote I have right now is on the Trane. Does anyone know the pros and cons to any of these 3 units? If you were purchasing one of these units yourself, Which would you prefer and why? I have seen where some have made statements as to the noise of the Trane XR15. Is it that much louder than the others? Is it loud enough to be an irritant considering it has to sit next to a bedroom? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-09, 07:35 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Never heard a loud trane unit. Id go with the XL and not the XR to get away from the builder grade. As far as equipment goes the best equipment is the one that is installed right.

Old 10-13-09, 11:44 PM
C
What's the exact model numbers of the equipment quoted?
The performance carrier and preferred bryant can have 3 different types of air handlers
FX, FV, FE

Does your quote from the carrier or bryant come with the infinity/evolution controller?
Apple to Apple you need to compare the XL15i from trane or bryant 225A / Carrier 25HCB5 with the XR15.

If you are leaning toward the XR15 due to price then ask the others to quote you on the 225A and the 25HCB5 with either a FX air handler or a FV for variable speed, depending on what trane air handler was quoted.

Old 10-14-09, 11:22 AM
I
I live about 100 miles north of New Orleans, LA. where the winters are not too hard and last about three months but the summers are horrible with high temperatures and humidity. As far as the Trane XL15i, I thought it did not qualify for the tax credit in the 4 ton HP.

These are the ones I have been quoted so far.

3514632 Active Systems XR15 WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWR5048E1 4TEE3F65B1 48000 12.50 15.00 46000 8.50 30200
He quoted new lineset, HW VisionPro IAQ stat, 2 year labor warranty. I will probably have an Aprilaire 5000 air purifier installed on which ever unit I purchase because my wife has allergies and asthma.

The Carrier dealer is quoting a Performance 15 25HPA548H30 FE4AN(B,F)005+UI or the 25HPA548H30 FE4ANB006+UI. His quote included a 5 year warranty.

I do not know why he showed the two different units. He is quoting his with the tin plated coil and Infinity Control stat. Do you feel the Carrier package is okay? I do not know anything about the configuration of HP/Air Handlers. I feel confident with both companies as far as installation.