Can I install booster fan in plenum?

Old 10-15-09, 11:24 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I install booster fan in plenum?

I recently finished the attic and used the same A/C unit. I just added more ducts to it. The plenum stayed the same, which is not that big. I can see a big reduction between the end of the A/C unit and the plenum.

Replacing the plenum is not really a choice, because there is hardly space to crawl in there.

Thanks for any advice,

Serban Maerean.

Old 10-15-09, 02:11 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Most likely do not have enough CFM for the extra area. You most likely will not have enough cooling and heating from the unit. Would have been better to add a unit just for that area. Booster fans will not help you because it sounds like duct and unit or under sized. You have to have the air to move and sounds like there is none there.

Old 10-15-09, 08:01 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Blow

Replacing the plenum would not do you any good either. If the unit was properly sized in the first place (and they are either done right or downsized typically due to competitive bidding) then anything you add to that just decreases the air from the existing space. In an attic scenario a mini split system would have been the way to go. I am sure it would have been more expensive than what was done but by trying to save money you have two areas uncomfortable instead of one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: