evaporator proposal and advice


  #1  
Old 10-20-09, 07:04 AM
O
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grapevine Texas
Posts: 61
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
evaporator proposal and advice

Hi all, wonder if someone could help out with some advice on an a/c question.
We have a home built in 2002 that has a lennox hs21 4 ton compressor outside that last year had to have a coil put in because old one cracked. This year had a different service company out in april because a/c was not cooling, found freon 5 lbs low and said there was a minute leak some where in the evap coil area but his machine was not picking up where. Just had my winter heating tune up and a/c guy said gauges showed freon outside was about 5 lbs low, he got is sniffer out and found 3 coils leaking on evap coil up in attic.
So I know in january r22 is being not produced any more, price will sky rocket, so doing nothing is not really an option.
Guy left a proposal to change out evap coil, with new drain pan and lines, and freon, for 2050.00 it would be a cscf486on6 goodman/armana evap coil. He did say that this would convert to the new 410 freon if my unit outside should peter out in the future so I wouldn't have to buy both again.
The other option is changing both and adding a goodman compressor 4 ton 13 seer, with above evap for 5100.00 or an armana 4 ton 14 seer compressor with above evap coil for 6100.

Like to know if this is a reasonable rate, or advice from some of the pro's, we have a service/maintenace contract with this company here in the houston suburbs but if I had to contact another outfit, I could do that as well.
Thanks for any help, and if needed more info, will certainly provide.
 
  #2  
Old 10-20-09, 07:44 AM
mattison's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Cinti, OH
Posts: 5,315
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Get a few more quotes. Unless that atiic unit is a real bear then that guys price is high. Also what about warranty on the coil that was just replaced 1 year ago.
 
  #3  
Old 10-20-09, 08:57 AM
N
Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: santa fe /texas
Posts: 947
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattison
Get a few more quotes. Unless that atiic unit is a real bear then that guys price is high. Also what about warranty on the coil that was just replaced 1 year ago.
am i allowed to post the phone # of the service co.'i' use?
 
  #4  
Old 10-20-09, 08:57 PM
O
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grapevine Texas
Posts: 61
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newtofta
am i allowed to post the phone # of the service co.'i' use?
I don't see why not but if the moderators here don't like it, please feel free to send me a message. I've called a couple of company's locally, but maybe I haven't tried the company you use, I notice you are also in santa fe texas.
Russ
 
  #5  
Old 10-20-09, 09:06 PM
O
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grapevine Texas
Posts: 61
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattison
Get a few more quotes. Unless that atiic unit is a real bear then that guys price is high. Also what about warranty on the coil that was just replaced 1 year ago.
I called a couple more company's today, one never got back with me after they said they would, and the other emailed a couple quotes,

Install new Lennox 4 ton 13 seer Air Handler CB26UH-048-230
Install new Plenum for supply and return duct for 2460.00

or

Install new 4 ton 14 seer 410A Freon A/C and Heating system to include 14ACX-048-230 condenser with
CBX26UH-048-230 air handler, and new plenum
Flush copper lines
Taxes, Labor and Permits Included
4821.00

I'm not positive of the airhandler/evap coil I have currently without getting a p/n but if I'm reading this right this compay would put another same evap coil I have in now. I'm not real excited about that, this is my first home that I've had the outside unit coil fail and now the inside evap coil fail. It's only 7 years old, so Lennox or at least the lennox I got is not working out real well. I've lived in Florida, Ohio, Arizona and never had as much a/c issues as I have with this one in texas.

Anyway, off that, you asked about the warranty on the coil from last year, that was the outdoor or compressor coil that failed and this is the attic, evap coil now that is leaking. I think the company that replaced that gave me a year on that outside coil.
Russ
 
  #6  
Old 10-21-09, 01:33 PM
C
Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas, California
Posts: 1,408
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Did you replace the outside coil only?( a year ago ) or the whole outside unit including the compressor ?
 
  #7  
Old 10-21-09, 02:28 PM
O
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grapevine Texas
Posts: 61
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Last year the coil/fin assy surrounding the compressor, cracked where the tubes insert into a metal block, company said it was in an area that was not repairable, the whole coil assy would have to be replaced. It's a Lennox hs21-48 multi stage unit, so they replaced the coil and fin assy, unsoldered old one, soldered in new one flushed it out and added new freon, to the best of my knowledge that is what happened.
 
  #8  
Old 10-21-09, 02:55 PM
O
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grapevine Texas
Posts: 61
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So I'm doing a little research here on this and correct me if I'm wrong. The first proposal for 2100 is for a goodman/amana
cscf486on6, which when I look that up on the internet is a a frame evap coil assy, period. So the first company would unsolder old coil, put in new coil with new drain pan, flush and fill with freon. So I'd be keeping the rest of the air handler that I currently have, blower, and heater.

Next company wants 2459. for a lennox Air Handler CB26UH-048-230 which would be a new evap coil, new blower, and new heater with new cabinet and drain pan.

Called another company today and they wanted 3500. for a new carrier air handler, but he also mentioned this would be a multi speed blower that would do better than what I currently have to pull humidity out. I have to say, we deffinitely notice higher humidity in this house with our current system, but it's not a multispeed blower. So I need to find out if this lennox mentioned above is a multi speed blower for the humidity function as well.
 
  #9  
Old 10-21-09, 07:53 PM
N
Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: santa fe /texas
Posts: 947
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ohredwood
So I'm doing a little research here on this and correct me if I'm wrong. The first proposal for 2100 is for a goodman/amana
cscf486on6, which when I look that up on the internet is a a frame evap coil assy, period. So the first company would unsolder old coil, put in new coil with new drain pan, flush and fill with freon. So I'd be keeping the rest of the air handler that I currently have, blower, and heater.

Next company wants 2459. for a lennox Air Handler CB26UH-048-230 which would be a new evap coil, new blower, and new heater with new cabinet and drain pan.

Called another company today and they wanted 3500. for a new carrier air handler, but he also mentioned this would be a multi speed blower that would do better than what I currently have to pull humidity out. I have to say, we deffinitely notice higher humidity in this house with our current system, but it's not a multispeed blower. So I need to find out if this lennox mentioned above is a multi speed blower for the humidity function as well.
was the 'carrier guy' the co. i mentioned?
(he has never led me wrong)
 
  #10  
Old 10-22-09, 08:29 AM
O
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grapevine Texas
Posts: 61
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newtofta
was the 'carrier guy' the co. i mentioned?
(he has never led me wrong)
It is, and I talked to him for a while, seemed like a good guy, just need to finish up some price comparison. Appreciate the contact info.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: