Is my AC unit a heater?

Old 11-28-09, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is my AC unit a heater?

Bought my house here in Naples, FL 6 months ago. I tried to turn the heat on for the first time last night and it just blew cold air. I am wondering if this is just an A/C unit, or a heat pump as well? It is an electric Guardian R22 unit. The model number is ACO36x1322A. I can't find any info or manual on the internet. Is this unit a heater as well? Should I check my air handler? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-09, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm purely guessing based on what I found on the Web....

Couldn't find the exact model...are you sure you have all the numbers/letters correct. This is the site I found.. Browse GUARDIAN AIR CONDITIONING Central Air Conditioners

Yes, I think it is A/C only. Is it a packaged unit? I mean is the compressor and the fan that blows into the house all in one enclosure?

Old 11-28-09, 01:50 PM
Yes, it is all in one unit. That is definitely the model number, I checked it three times, but could not find it on the internet.

Old 11-28-09, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Well, as I said...just guessing. No Pro on HVAC. The site has been having issues and it IS Thanksgiving wknd...so maybe one of the experts will be able to weigh in later.

What kind of thermostat do you have? Does it have a heat setting? You may have some sort of electrical heat....ceiling or floor radient possibly?

Also, check your inspection/appraisal paperwork..they normally list that stuff. You could also call your agent and see if they could contact the original owners maybe?

Old 11-28-09, 03:03 PM
The thermostat is a standard digital aftermarket deal. When I turn it to heat, I can set it to whatever temperature I want, but no heat comes out. There is really no such thing as ceiling or radiant heating here in Florida and I am sure I do not have any, as I have remodeled most of the house. My house was built in 1980. The air handler is 4 years old. I think the AC unit outside is probably 10 years old.

Old 11-28-09, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Ohhh see...you said before it was all in one...then you just said outside unit and air handler. That seems like you have a heat pump or a A/c and furnace of some sort.

Did it cool well when needed? Does the outside unit come on when you ask for heat? If it comes on..then you probably have a heat pump with a problem. If it doesn't thaen you may have some sort of furnace that has a problem...

Again..just have to see what a pro says...

Old 11-28-09, 04:32 PM
There is a unit with a fan and compressor on the ground outside. There is an air handler in the attic. The A/C has been fine and very cold all summer. Just no heat. There are no issues with breakers or anything. I will go in the attic and look at the air handler tomorrow.

Old 11-28-09, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Hmm..still trying to assist..no expert remember...

Do you have gas service to the house or is it all electric? If you have gas..you may have an older furnace that requires the pilot to be lighted for winter. Or..again..you may have a problem.

How old is the home?

When you go in the attic..please post all numbers on any units you find..that will help.