dual temp (not dual zone) central thermostat?

Old 12-05-09, 10:44 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dual temp (not dual zone) central thermostat?

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a central a/c thermostat with dual temp control (i.e., separate temp settings for cool and heat modes).

My low-vision, octogenarian parents have an aging Lennox attic unit that needs to be set for about 76-77F in cool mode and about 73-74F in heat mode. Otherwise, it doesn't keep them comfortable. I installed a digital thermostat, hoping it would fix the problem, by virtue of its superior accuracy over the round, analog Lennox thermo that came with the unit. No such luck. I've tried changing the digital thermo's temp span; no joy. I've considered relocating the thermo, but the layout of this 3-bedroom house makes the central hall location the best choice for overall comfort in all rooms.

As you probably surmised, the house in question does need better insulation and this i$$ue will be addressed when the central unit is eventually replaced. For now, all they need is a thermostat which will be set to the desired temps when they flip the mode switch.

The thermos I've found offer elaborate day/week programmability and smart mode switching. My folks do not want this; they just want to manually change modes without having to set the mode-specific temp afterward.
Granted, I haven't read the manuals for every model I've viewed online, but nothing was mentioned in the short manu descriptions about mode-specific temps.
Are there any models out there that can do this?

Bear in mind that I can get a Kelvin voice recognition thermostat for $100 at Target -- they'd still have to talk it through setting the temp on each mode change. The dual temp thermo I'm looking for is a simpler alternative and should cost a good bit less than $100.

TIA.

Old 12-05-09, 03:31 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Try looking at thermostats that have an "auto" feature that will switch between heating and cooling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: