Help: Nail pierced A/C Coil in compressor. Fix or replace?

Old 12-09-09, 08:51 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help: Nail pierced A/C Coil in compressor. Fix or replace?

So, yesterday my cable company was at my home and fixed the internet connection but (we believe) left screws on top of the outside unit. A few hours later we heard this loud hissing sound and pulled the breaker. This morning we found screws on top of the air compressor and found where one fell into the unit. The blade was chipped and there is a hole in the coil.

So, the cable company is coming tonight with an A/C company to fix it. I suspect that they will want to simply "plug" the whole versus replace the coil.

Is this a viable solution? How do I know if it will work for a few days/weeks/months and then leak again?

What do you suggest?

I am terrified of being screwed (no pun intended) but need information to argue the point that plugging a leak on an air coil isn't a good fix....

Thanks in advance as this is more first post...

Old 12-09-09, 04:08 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
I had a similar sitluation a number of years ago. The hole can be repaired with a brazed(?) patch. But they will then have to evacuate the system and recharge, of course.

If they replace the compressor coil, so much the better.

Old 12-09-09, 04:29 PM
A
So, the cable company showed up without the a/c company. It turns out that it was a sub-contractor and I will have to file his claim through his insurance company. I did get an estimate to replace the coil from my a/c company of $2,700. The sub had his boss come out today and look at the claim. The boss's brother works in the a/c industry and told him a patch would cost approx $700.

I am hoping that I can get the cash and put it towards a new unit rather than put $$$ into a 10 year old rheem unit.

My a/c company suggested another rheem.

Is there a consensus on which 3 manufacturers are the best?

Is rheem still one of them?

What other brands should I consider?

Thanks

Anthony

Old 12-11-09, 06:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Umm, talk about a snow job!

Anthony, you contract with the cable company to provide cable TV to your home. Cable goes down, you call them and they come and fix it. Done deal.

The cable company decides to hire a sub who brakes your unit and YOU have to pay and then YOU have to deal with insurance companies? BS! The cable company should pay to repair the unit and they can deal with insurance.

You didn't hire a sub, did you?

And, yes a nitrogen bleed thought the piping, a braze job, and a good evacuation and recharge should fix it right up.

As to your last question, I would not purchase a rheem for my own home. Or my enemy's, for that matter.

Old 12-11-09, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I agree.
In normal contract work a general contractor which is what the cable company is would be responsible for their sub trades.
It would be the sub trades insurance company that would be responsible but what if their sub didn't have any?

They are passing the buck and should be notifying the sub, not you.

Old 12-11-09, 07:43 PM
A
End of story:

Insurance company for sub-contractor came out today and approved $2700 claim and will mail a check. I can then do whatever I wish with the $$$. I signed a contract for a new Trane unit on Monday.

Thanks everybody for your support.

Goofy situation ended positively.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: