Carrier heat pump clicking noise when turning off?

Old 12-10-09, 12:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carrier heat pump clicking noise when turning off?

My carrier heat pump is giving me trouble yet again

Basically, it seems to be "working" although not quite right. It will start OK most of the time, but when it gets the signal to shut off the outside unit starts making a fairly loud clicking noise. It's as if something is trying to engage over and over again. Once click every half second or so. This goes on for about a dozen or so clicks and then the unit shuts off completely. This seems to have started when it started going into heat mode during a few recent cold snaps we've gotten here in NE Florida.

After doing some reading, it appears this could be the defrost control board or the reversing valve? The noise is definitely coming from somewhere inside the unit (not from the electronic panel). I've already replaced the coil, and solenoid on the unit. I think I may have even had the defrost control board replaced a few years ago. The unit is about 6 years old.

Thanks for any help, and any ref to get a good deal on the parts. I've got an offer bid going on the defrost control board on Ebay already. Although, I'm not entirely sure that it's the electronics or the part that is actually clicking inside? In the past, I've gotten kind of ripped for parts on this unit from local AC places. In this economy, the last thing I have is hundreds to spend on fixing this. TIA!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-09, 06:11 PM
No model or serial numbers given to provide access to wiring diagrams. Not good.

The only thing (off top of head) that would make a LOUD click is the compressor contactor. This is controlled by the board.

I would suggest opening the electic box while the unit is running. Have a helper lower the tsat to turn the unit off and see what is actually clicking.

I would look at the thermostat myself. Read common to Y terminal when the unit should be satisfied. 24, 0, 24, 0 volts means tstat is confused. Watch out for 220 in the line and load of the contactor.

Old 12-11-09, 11:44 PM
thanks for the reply. I already did the check you mentioned before I posted. Only problem is I think I'd have to start taking apart the entire outside unit to actually see what is clicking since it's down in the bottom somewhere. The carrier unit is a y series. I can get the long model number, but this is the cheap 5 year warranty variety heat pump MFG about 5 or 6 years ago.

As far as the click, I guess I can't say if it's loud or quiet. It's loud enough that I can hear it thru my bedroom window which is next to the outside unit ... but the walls in the house are pretty thin.

I guess what I have to figure out is if I need to do more work and testing, or simply replace the board ASAP.

Old 12-11-09, 11:47 PM
oh , and I think I know what you mean by the compressor contactor. As I said, that's been broken/fixed before and is not what's clicking this time. The noise is clearly NOT coming from the electrical compartment, but from somwhere else in the unit under the big fan. I guess I could get out there in the daylight and start poking around some more to see if I can somehow figure out what part is clicking. Just figured it couldnt' be that many different parts outside the electrical box with this symptom?

Old 12-12-09, 10:06 AM
About the only outside of the elec panel is the reversing valve, and (if installed) high and low safety switches. However in heating mode the reversing valve shoul be de energized. The board then could be freaking out and energizeing the valve to initiate a defrost. This would mean you need to change the board.

Old 12-12-09, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Jarredsdad View Post
About the only outside of the elec panel is the reversing valve, and (if installed) high and low safety switches. However in heating mode the reversing valve shoul be de energized. The board then could be freaking out and energizeing the valve to initiate a defrost. This would mean you need to change the board.
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing based on some other thread on this forum. The guy was describing a similar situation. Now, to find a board for the lowest cost. People sure do like marking up these AC parts. I get it from a small biz service angle, but all the high prices online are a pain.

Does anyone know the best bet to find the best prices on AC parts like defrost control boards?

Old 12-13-09, 07:40 AM
You may try a local A/C parts house and install a generic. ICM controls makes a few, Honeywell also.

Defrost Boards

Mark up? Try buying parts for resturant equipment. Now there is a mark up!