Air con start and stop every half hour: Spoil the motor?

Old 12-21-09, 01:16 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking Air con start and stop every half hour: Spoil the motor?

I have a De'longhi portable air con. I set the temperature setting to 24 C. And it stops every half an hour and starts five minutes later.

I can't set the temperature lower so it would be continuous running because I grew up in the tropics and will have problems sleeping in colder temperature. If I set the setpoint higher than 24 C, the air con starts and stop less frequently but it is damn hot.

Every time it stops the air con emits a loud thud sound. But that is not the problem, I am worried that the air con motors might burn out. I understand that every time a motor start, it needs 6-7 times starting current to overcome the inertia, frequent starting cause winding burn out.

Not sure if normally portable aircon has variable speed drives to lessen the impact of motor start and stop. Do I have to worry about this? If yes, any suggestion to overcome this problem?Beer 4U2

Old 12-28-09, 05:05 PM
The loud thud is probably the compressor.

Check the out side air portion for a dirty coil or non working fan motor.

Model and serial numbers always help us help you.

Old 12-29-09, 07:45 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think the OP has a self-contained portable AC unit, so there would be no outside portion for him to check.

To the OP....I can't see what your problem is. At the set temperature, it runs, cools your room down, and shuts off. Five minutes later, the room has warmed up enough to turn it back on. To set the thermostat lower to keep it running constantly makes the room too cold. Turning the thermostat higher so that it doesn't cycle as often makes the room too hot. That's pretty much how any A/C system will work.

It doesn't sound like you have a problem, other than you are worrying about the frequent starts and stops causing the motor to fail prematurely. Your unit may be oversized, allowing it to cool down the room too quickly and cycle off. But short of replacing it with a smaller unit, there isn't much you can do besides adjust the thermostat to where you can live with both the temperature and the cycling frequency. These units are built to cycle on a regular basis, and allowing them to do so shouldn't markedly affect their lifespan.

Old 12-29-09, 04:04 PM
Good point beachboy. EVERY A/C has a coil to absorb heat and a coil to reject heat because it moves heat from one place to another. So he could have a clogged condenser.

And, true the unit could be oversized. Solution, open doors to other rooms and add more load.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: