Using swimming pool as water source for heat pump AC?

Old 12-22-09, 03:21 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Using swimming pool as water source for heat pump AC?

Ok so this maybe a VERY silly question but I had a conversation the other day with a friend. He said it was possible to use the water in an in-ground swimming pool as a water source for a heat pump air conditioner? is this in fact possible?

I am sorry if this is a off the wall question but I'd really like to know.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Old 12-22-09, 07:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Water will be to hot in the summer. It would have to be a very big pool or you would heat or cool the pool very quickly. You would have to have a closed loop or the chemicals would eat the unit up. Id stick to a lake.

Old 12-22-09, 07:46 PM
T
Thank you for the reply.

Is there a way to calculate how much water would be needed per hour of running the AC? The reason this topic came up for me is that I am looking for an inexpensive way to occasionally cool my shed/workshop not my home. I have a 30'x30' with 8' ceiling workshop at my home and I only use the workshop a couple hours at a time on the weekends.

Is there a way to calculate how much water you need? Or is it such a huge amount that it would heat a 15''x30' pool to over 100 degrees in two hours?? Just trying to get an idea exactly how ridiculous this idea is I guess

Old 12-22-09, 07:49 PM
T
Wasn't able to edit that last post...it's a 15' long x 30' wide x 6' deep in ground pool.

Old 12-22-09, 08:15 PM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Well, I'll get you started. One BTU is the amount of heat needed to raise one pound of water one degree F. At 8 pounds per gallon it would then take 8 BTU's for every gallon in your pool for a one degree rise. You have 2700 cubic ft of water at 7.5 gallons per ft cubed equals = 20,000 gallons, times that 8 BTU's per gallon and you are up to 160,000 BTU's of energy with every one degree rise in pool temperature.

Now, while your heat pump is trying to increase your pool temp that one degree, evaporation will be cooling it back off, so my guess is occasional use would barely be noticed. But I'll let someone else refine the numbers.

Two examples, the huge facility I started my career with in Nj was surrounded by several ponds equiped with sprinklers. That was the source of their cooling system. Also, I building I rented at one time had a water cooled AC unit. Simply ran water through the heat exchanger rather than air. Huge beast, but worked great.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: