Goodman Return Air

Old 01-04-10, 12:21 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman Return Air

I need to change the return air intake from the right to left side for the duct work. If the motor is installed to the other side and the circulating fan turns in the same direction, the the blades will be in the wrong direction resulting in decreased air supply. Anyone help with the procedure to change left side to right side? System is a Goodman 3.5 ton 95KBTU.

Old 01-08-10, 12:13 PM
P
I have a little more information. I have been advised that the solution is to reverse the rotation of the motor. I expected that.

However I removed the motor which is a 1Ph 115vac 1/2 hp made by Zhongshan Broad Ocean Motor co. P/N YDK 370L65223-01 and absolutely no plate is available for access to change terminals to reverse the rotation.

I have the installation manual for the furnace and while it gives good information in the general installation, there is none for reversing sides for the return air.

I am wondering if a new motor with opposite rotation is the only solution.

I'm slightly embarressed that I can't retofy the situation but the manufacturer will not help as he says ask the installer. Maybe I'm out of my league and will end up with a large outlay to fix it.

Hope someone can help and I will appreciate it deeply

Old 01-10-10, 01:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Strange post. I would just tap into the other side and not touch the blower at all. I hope you do not regret your decision to do this.

It would be better to tap into both sides if possible.

Old 01-22-10, 04:22 PM
The best situation is (vanes in a 90) an ducted strait into the blower housing inlet side. That allows all the blades to handle & move their optimal amount of air in the most efficient manner.

Many residential units bring the air in from the bottom or some oil furnaces from the top & down into the blower chamber.

You could always try it, coming in from the other side, & then ballpark the airflow to see if it's sufficient. - Darrell

Last edited by HVAC RETIRED; 01-22-10 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Oil furnaces...
Old 01-23-10, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
I recently replaced the blower motor on my janitrol [goodman] and the motor can mount on either side of the blower cage. Wouldn't mounting the motor on the reverse side take care of the rotating direction problem?

I'm just a painter so don't yell at me if I'm totally off base

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: