Screwed Up installing humidifier and cut AC 'A' evaporator coil tubing

Old 01-24-10, 11:44 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Screwed Up installing humidifier and cut AC 'A' evaporator coil tubing

So, last weekend I planned to tak e lots of time to install a flow through humidifier - however other things came up and took away my time. In the end I rushed through and punctured a line to the AC coil - at least I try to make myself feel better that if I had more time I would have scouted out what was in the handler and where it was

So, it's an old Synder General Comfortmaker unit (1988) - seems the model is AAD36GA. I haven't been able to find much on this (not surprising since it is 21+ years old).
So, looking around during the week I did find http://www.expertappliance.com/partfinder.php which showed it at $890. This place seems to have more generic replacements at a much more reasonable price.

I am wondering if I can find someone that would be willing to repair / solder it.

At the moment I'm considering several options:
  • Do nothing - we usually only need it for a couple of weeks anyway. Murphy of course says if we do this then the next couple of summers will be really hot!
  • - Repair it and get the system recharged
  • - Get a replacement coil and get the system recharged
  • - Buy a new unit
  • - Buy a new unit that qualifies for the federal tax credit (would I need to replace the furnace too?) How much would we save over the old unit - probably not too much given the amount of use
I see that the furnace is also a Comfortmaker but I don't see a model number or date etc.

I'm curious to know what more knowledgeable folks think.

Thanks - Bryan.

Old 01-26-10, 10:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Best option is of course to replace the old dinosaur. You can probably get someone to repair the hole and recharge for a lot less than the cost of replacing the entire coil though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: