Can it be re bent?

Old 02-08-10, 06:55 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can it be re bent?

would like to relocate the freon supply line (annealed copper tubing 1/2") running from outside unit into unfinished basement ceiling to indoor ac unit. it has 2 rather open 90 degree bends (not joints). is it possible to rebend this flexible pipe to reroute it in a more sensible path? thanks.

Old 02-09-10, 03:40 AM
H
I dont know if your wanting to try this while gas is still in the system or what...

But if all the gas is still in the system I would not bend them at all.. If there is play in the lines you could maybe push them around a little but you talking just enough to work,paint, something small around them..

If all the gas is removed you can do whatever you want. Just dont kink the lines as it will cause problems.

Old 02-09-10, 02:57 PM
R
"If all the gas is removed you can do whatever you want. Just dont kink the lines as it will cause problems."

Thankyou Hertel. There is a valve that can turn off the freon supply at the supply tank end. I assume if the a/c was run long enough it would empty the line - however, I will check to see if there is a bleeder valve at the other end of the line to empty it completely. The follow up question would then be, is there a best method or tool required to bend the line without "kinking" it? Again, thanks.

Old 02-09-10, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
No...no NOOOOO...unless you want a huge repair bill.

Hang on for one of the Pro's...but as I understand..you need to evacuate the system, then move the lines as needed. You can't break a connection and then just remake it. The refrigerant needs to be evacuated...the lines moved, pressure tested..then the system refilled.

I'm not sure hertel explained completely....

Old 02-09-10, 04:24 PM
H
If there is a charge on the system (gas in the lines), call a tech. You will need to evacuate the lines and all that good jazz. I dont know what your trying to do and your situation.. Perhaps you just bought this place and the ac is dead.. Maybe you have lived there for years and just want to move them...

Now if the system works and you are just wanting to move them. You need a tech to do it because the system will have to be pumped down and sealed. then the lines brazed or cut free moved brazed back evacuated and the charge released.

Dont mess with lines if they have gas in them.. If you bust one you can burn your self very bad and might loose body parts..

If you try and do this your self you can trap moisture in your system and turn your refrigerant to acid and kill your compressor.

I really should of given a more detailed reply before. sorry.

Old 02-10-10, 07:10 AM
R
Ok defly sounds like not a diy job. As I did not give enough info from the start, I thank you both.

regards

Old 02-14-10, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by rhs1969
Ok defly sounds like not a diy job. As I did not give enough info from the start, I thank you both.

regards
AND ITS VERY ILLEGAL

Certified HVAC-R tech

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: