2-10 Warranty -> R410A coverage for $40?

Old 02-10-10, 03:58 PM
Q
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 2-10 Warranty -> R410A coverage for $40?

Good evening everyone!
I signed up for a 2-10 Home Warranty a few months back when I purchased my new home. The house was built in 1973 and the A/C unit is pretty old. Therefore, I felt pretty comfortable buying a warranty on the house.

I received something in the mail from 2-10 the other day about R410A Coverage. It says
"...it is generally expected that the inventory of major components for R-22 systems will decline rapidly and be in short supply after the first quarter of 2010."
"For units using HCFC-22 refrigerant and when repair/replacement parts for failed covered equipment are not available, repair/replacement will be performed with R410A equipment, including equipment required to ensure compatibility with the working equipment."
Anyone think this extra coverage is worth $40? Do we really expect R-22 parts to run out or become scarce? Thanks for the input!

Old 02-10-10, 04:22 PM
H
anuary 1, 2004:
The Montreal Protocol required the U.S. to reduce its consumption of HCFCs by 35% below the U.S. baseline cap. As of January 1, 2003, EPA banned production and import of HCFC-141b, the most ozone-destructive HCFC. This action allowed the United States to meet its obligations under the Montreal Protocol. EPA was able to issue 100% of company baseline allowances for production and import of HCFC-22 and HCFC-142b.
January 1, 2010:
The Montreal Protocol requires the U.S. to reduce its consumption of HCFCs by 75% below the U.S. baseline. Allowance holders may only produce or import HCFC-22 to service existing equipment. Virgin R-22 may not be used in new equipment. As a result, heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) system manufacturers may not produce new air conditioners and heat pumps containing R-22.
January 1, 2015:
The Montreal Protocol requires the U.S. to reduce its consumption of HCFCs by 90% below the U.S. baseline.
January 1, 2020:
The Montreal Protocol requires the U.S. to reduce its consumption of HCFCs by 99.5% below the U.S. baseline. Refrigerant that has been recovered and recycled/reclaimed will be allowed beyond 2020 to service existing systems, but chemical manufacturers will no longer be able to produce R-22 to service existing air conditioners and heat pumps.

Old 02-10-10, 04:59 PM
We are not going to run out of R-22 or parts for R-22 anytime soon. When you eventually need to replace your system, you will end up with an R-410A system.

If I were you, I would drop the warranty company and open a new bank account for the money you stop sending them.

You will find it much easier to take repair money from that account than getting the warranty company to fix anything.

Old 02-11-10, 02:31 PM
Q
Thanks for the input. Anyone else have a different take? So far I'm of the opinion I'd be throwing away $40 if I called and added this to my existing warranty.

Jarredsdad - Thanks for the input on dropping the home warranty. I've certainly head this way of thought before. I figured the warranty could help in case the A/C went out the first year, as I mentioned it looks really old... Anyway, thanks again for the input/info.

Old 02-11-10, 03:19 PM
H
Prices are only going up.. I believe in warranties. If you lost a fan motor your looking at $300 plus... A contactor. $80 plus.. On top of the service call. Compressor/new unit thousands.. Some units last a long time... Most dont. And most of the r22 is going to be bought up and sold to commercial accounts... Not like there going to buy a new $500.000.00 chiller after 10 years, They will pay top dollar for the r22 and sell uninformed customers new 410a units.. Just my .02

Old 02-11-10, 04:15 PM
Hertel does have a point there. The cost of 22 id definitely going up. I have several 30# cans I bought in 2003 - 2004 at an average of $50 each. Now it's pushing $200.

If you went with a new system most companies will offer 10 years parts and labor warranties.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: