Heat pump won't shut off.... even when breaker is flipped!

Old 02-16-10, 11:52 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump won't shut off.... even when breaker is flipped!

I have two heat pumps (up & down) and my downstairs one will not shut off! Even when I flip the breaker switch it remains running. It's a rather old unit, but can't really afford to replace it at this time.

I replaced the fan motor on it last year and would rather DIY fix than spend $$$$$ for someone to come out. Of course I'm concerned about the fact that the power is obviously not being turned off regardless of breaker switch position. Any advice is greatly appreciatee!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-10, 06:49 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When you say it won't turn off with the breaker, do you mean the outdoor unit or the indoor blower? Normally, the indoor blower is powered through a separate breaker. Do you also have electric heat strips for aux heat?

Its also possible your breaker box is mislabeled. Have you tried flipping off other breakers, not just the one labeled for that particular heat pump?

I doubt you're looking at replacing the heat pump. Its likely the problem is a stuck contactor or thermostat problem.

Old 02-17-10, 08:08 AM
L
I am shutting off the correct breaker switch... . LOL. When the breaker is in the 'off' position the indoor blower does not come on, but the outside heat pump unit continues to power. With the breaker 'on', indoor blower and heat works. It may be aux heat that is functioning... I'm not sure how to tell. Thermostat doesn't indicate that aux heat is on.

At times when the breaker is on heat pump just hums and electricity meter starts spinning like crazy (maybe this is because electric aux kicks in?)... This is when I turn the breaker off and heat pump starts up again.

I'm really confused why power is still going to unit with breaker off... maybe bad breaker switch? House and breaker box are about 22 years old.

Old 02-17-10, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Are you sure there is not a seperate disconnect for the actual outside unit? Thats the way my old system was. The breaker cut off the poswer to the inside unit and the thermostat..and the fused disconnect handled the 240 to the outside unit.

You can always throw the main then pull that specific breaker out....that will prove its getting power from elsewhere.

Of course that won't solve why it won't turn off, but will allow you to work on it safely.

Old 02-17-10, 02:21 PM
H
You have a problem with your breaker for sure... But it most likely keeps running because your contactor has welded shut.

Old 02-17-10, 04:48 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Lucassg View Post
I am shutting off the correct breaker switch... . LOL. When the breaker is in the 'off' position the indoor blower does not come on, but the outside heat pump unit continues to power. With the breaker 'on', indoor blower and heat works.
By what you say, it does not sound to me like you are turning off the correct one. The outside one should have it's own 240 volt breaker or disconnect. Have you gone outside to throw or pull the disconnect out there?

As funny or haunted as what you say sounds, I think we both know that the unit can't seriously run with the breaker turned off.

Old 02-22-10, 07:25 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I am shutting off the correct breaker switch... . LOL. When the breaker is in the 'off' position the indoor blower does not come on, but the outside heat pump unit continues to power
There is a seperate breaker and should be an outside disconnect for the outdoor unit. You are not turning off the correct breaker.