Reality of possibility of installing my own central air/heating system???

Old 02-18-10, 05:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reality of possibility of installing my own central air/heating system???

Hello all!!

My house was built in 88 and is two stories, 1900 square feet. The original unit for the a/c broke down on me this summer, and a few days ago, the heater portion finally gave out. I've had a pro out (multiple) and they all agree the units are toast.

Problem is, cash. I see the units on ebay for a fraction of what they cost installed.

My father and I would embark on this project together. I'm thinking, but could be wrong, that since the system is already there for central air and heating, that just replacing the units may not be too bad.

I've never done something like this, but between my father and I, our mechanical skills are amazing...he's an ase certified near master mechanic, but actually builds f18's for a living....he has his freon licenses from his days in automotive. I fall in my fathers footsteps, and can fix about anything.

What do you all think?? The area on the side of the house where the a/c sits is all cemented flat ground, so whatever size unit will just bolt on, as there is no platform needed. The heater portion fits into the space in the garage.

Do I need a big kick in the face for even considering this, or is this a reality that two inexperienced yet highly capable men could accomplish?? Thanks for any insite on this. Jeremy

Old 02-18-10, 05:53 PM
It's not just a matter of removing the old units & installing the new units.

Do a lot of searches on the Internet for information!

Copy Search> Sizing air conditioning system duct system evacuation

Everything has to be done just right or there will be major problems sooner or later.

Old 02-19-10, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just buying all the proper tools and equipment you would need to replace a complete HVAC system correctly would put you in the $2000 range, not a good idea IMHO.

Everything has to be done just right or there will be major problems sooner or later.

Old 02-19-10, 01:22 PM
J
and the quote in your sig says it all.

thanks guys...guess I'll drop this idea

Old 02-20-10, 12:12 PM
Just to further the "drop the idea" thing.

Your Dad would need to "upgrade" his certification from auto to maybe universal.

As Dun said, you are talking about a lot of special tools. Very expensive for a one time use.

DO NOT buy anything HVAC from E-bay. Like a used car, you will be buying someone else's problem.

I would suggest you try and find a pro who will do side work.

Research the correct procedures for removal of old equipment and install of new.

Like for like a permit is not needed.

Purchase New Equipment, send the warranty info in yourself.

Assist in the removal/install to save cash. Watch to ensure things are done correctly.

This sort of approach can save lots and lots of clams, keep your work Legal, and net a quality install.

Just an extra couple of pennies in the pot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: