Apartment Trane Exec. AC poor cooling

Old 04-03-10, 10:58 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Apartment Trane Exec. AC poor cooling

I live in a 1 bedroom 2nd floor apartment, approx 900 s/f. The unit in question is an older Trane Executive AC, it has the spiral "Christmas tree tinsel" fins on the outdoor unit coils. They appear clean and dirt/sand-free.

The apt's are older. Cooling performance has always been marginal. I use an electronic programmable t'stat, set to 82 when away for the day so it doesn't run the electric up, then down to 77, then 75 progressively in the evening when at home. Unit seems to take an exceptionally long time to cool, duct temps do not seem very cold, haven't put a thermometer in it yet. For example, with 85 outside, starting at 79 inside, takes roughly 1 hour to cool 2 degrees, runs almost constantly. Typical heavy runtime is 8-10 hrs per day in summer (t'stat has an hourmeter counter function). I'm in midwestern Florida, and it's not even summer yet. I dread the electric bills when it really gets hot, over $100 a month.

All they give you is the crap spun-glass filters which are about useless, told me don't buy the pleated ones, they restrict airflow (maybe so on this gutless system). On past maintenance calls they say freon is OK, replace filter again (almost nothing on it yada yada), problem never solved. Some of the other units in the complex have been replaced with a variety of brands, i.e. Goodman, but don't know if they're willing to put out any $$$ to fix unless it dies.

Old 04-04-10, 04:03 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A Unit that is sized right will run all day in hot weather. Turning your t-stat up is not helping you. Sounds like it is working fine but having the temps will help.

Old 04-04-10, 02:27 PM
G
So would it be more efficient to leave it set at a certain temp all the time, and not turn the stat up while I'm away? I work days, leave @ 7:30 am, return home usually 6-7 pm. I don't see much point burning electricity cooling while I'm not home, esp during the hottest part of the day. That's why I have the programmable thermostat. What should I set it for during the day when not at home? I like it around 75 at night and for sleeping. I can tell how long the unit's been on by checking the runtime on the thermostat's memory

Old 04-04-10, 05:48 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Id set it to go to 79 when your not at home and set it to go to 75 at 5. by 10 it should be close to set point.

Old 04-04-10, 07:40 PM
G
Got it set for that this evening. I'll post the results tomorrow evening. Having the program feature is very nice, and the hour meter makes it easier to tell how hard it's working. I also have an Oregon Scientific digital thermometer with min/max temp readings, so I can see what the real temps were while I was away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: