Leaking Evaporator Coil

Old 04-05-10, 10:59 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking Evaporator Coil

I was given a quote of $1400 to replace a leaking evap coil. Is this reasonable? It's a 7yr old 3 Ton Trane HP. How much would be a reasonable amount to pay for a complete system replacement? Lets say a comparable 3.5 Ton 15 SEER system. How much of that amount is the system cost and how much is labor? Also, what brands have better warranties?

Thanks!

Old 04-06-10, 05:31 AM
L
1400. is a little chunk of change at least it is to me
First i would have to be 100 % sure that is actually where the leak is. Did the Tech show you the leak? Did he attempt to bubble check it, did you see oil? Was it copper or Aluminum? If copper was it repairable? Have you had to add refrigerant before and if so how often. I would think about a second opinion, before I hand over 1400. And have the Tech show you the leak with bubbles (ideally) If he cant bubble it then with his electronic leak detector.
Trane is one of the better makes out there.

Old 04-06-10, 06:47 AM
E
$1400 sounds a little high to me too, which is why I'm considering full system upgrade, but I'm definately going to get a second opinion. The tech that came out is a "friend of a friend", but I'm not real sure that he's giving us a good deal.

The coil is visibly rusted and he did show me with an electronic leak detector. There is no visible oil, and in retrospect, a bubble check would have been nice. The fins are aluminum, but I believe the coils are copper encased by a galvanized steel frame. We've never had to add refrigerant before, but the cooling efficiency had decreased somewhat over the years.

Old 04-06-10, 10:55 AM
L
Was the system completely out of refrigerant , did the tech pump it up with nitrogen to leak check? If not This may be a good thing may have a very small leak that has leaked for years. If the next tech cant locate the leak see if he will charge it up for you. It may be a very small leak that has been leaking for years, causing your lose of performance year after year. This will buy you time financially to research what system is best for you.
Sometimes if a tech can locate a leak they may blame it on the indoor coil ( Keep us posted

Old 04-06-10, 11:50 AM
E
yeah, it was completely dry. He had to pump some in there to leak test. We could hearing hissing out of the coil...it's needs to be replaced. What do you think about swapping out with a different brand air handler. For better warranty.

Old 04-06-10, 01:01 PM
L
Looks like all the big players Have a 10 year warranty.
If you decide to install a new system i would get at least 3 bids Check them out on BBB. Besure it qualifies for the tax rebate I believe Heat pump is 15 seer.
Brands I prefer Trane, American standard , Carrier , Bryant
York

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: