Central Air does not shut off.

Old 04-06-10, 08:12 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Central Air does not shut off.

We have a Coleman Propane furnace (91.0%) with a central air unit outside.

Our thermostat has 4 wires plus a black jumper wire inside. I think from red but didn't take a close enough look this morning before leaving the house. I just needed to know how many wires.

The heating works like it always did which was never great. If thermostat was set to 70 on heat furnace kicks in at 68.5 and shuts off at 71.5. The house was always hot and cold all the time. The thermostat would always take awhile to shut off heat or cool when turned to off position. It still waited until it got to the set temps even though it was off.

The ac would do the same thing.

Last year the AC wouldn't come on outside so I jiggled the wires into the outside circuit breaker box next to the unit and it came on. So we got a HVAC guy to fix it but I am not sure what he did. I thought this was a breaker switch but he said its a old type blade fuse. AC worked fine all year except for hot and cold. I think he jury rigged it to come on.

This year The first time I tried to turn it on it never came on. I then took the cover off of the outside unit and it came on the second time I tried it. Now the AC (Fan and outside unit) comes on fine but neither will turn off. So the house keeps getting colder and colder. Shutting the thermostat to off doesn't shut it off. Turning to heat doesn't work right away so sometimes I have to use wall switch.

I hope it is just a crappy thermostat (And am replacing it tonight) but what do you think?

Old 04-06-10, 11:06 AM
L
If you turn your thermostat system switch to off does the outdoor unit still run?

Old 04-06-10, 01:06 PM
T

Yes. Both the indoor fan and the outdoor compressor unit with fan still run if I turn the switch from cool to off. At least for a time. I usually just hit the switch on the wall.

Old 04-06-10, 02:44 PM
L
Lift the wire off of Y on your stat and tell us if the out door unit shuts off

Old 04-06-10, 06:06 PM
T
got a fancy new Honeywell thermostat and everything works fine. The red wire was over stripped and shorting and the brass contacts were corroding. 5 years and the lux Pro thermostat turned to junk.

Old 04-06-10, 06:26 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You get what you pay for!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: