Armstrong condenser problem

Old 04-07-10, 12:48 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Armstrong condenser problem

I have an Armstrong 2SHP13LE130 unit. It had numerous problems 3 years ago, after a bad install. Its worked well ever since.

I switched to AC 2 days ago. The units (indoor and out) works fine for a few minutes. Then the outside fan stops turning. The unit starts making horrible noises, like an old ship creaking, or a tire turning. The sound in coming from below the motor, near the condenser.

When I reset the power, it goes through all of this again. I haven't seen any ice or condensation on the lines. The indoor unit appears to work fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-07-10, 02:21 PM
P
ac problem

Sounds like condenser fan motor is going out on internal overload. The noise you are hearing may be the compressor running, you normally don't hear it due to fan noise when running.

You can try lubricating the motor shaft and oil ports if it has them. Most likely you will need a new condenser fan motor

Old 04-07-10, 03:58 PM
E
could be that but i dont think that will solve the problem. the condenser is the unit outisde as a whole, the noise is coming from the compressor and its difficult to determine what the problem is from here. if u wish to try the cheapest fix i suggest replacing the capacitor which the fan and the compressor are hooked up to. and if the compressor locks up and makes a horrible noise still, your next cheapest fix is to get a hard start, but its not a sure fire fix, just a guess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: