Ductboard box or Wye?

Old 04-08-10, 05:18 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ductboard box or Wye?

Hey everyone,

In an attempt to get geared up for the Texas summer I took a look over the ducts in the attic and found several joints that need to be resealed. We have a flex duct spider type system, and two of the main lines off the plenum connect to rectangular boxes made out of duct board which then branch off in to different ducts that terminate at the ceiling boxes.

My question is as long as I'm up in there anyway is it worth the time and expense to replace these thin duct boxes with metal wyes? Both boxes are fed by 9" flex duct for the supply. One has 3 6" ducts leading off of it, the other has a 4" and a 8".

The rest of the rooms are fed directly from the plenum and I am considering replacing them with R8 flex duct as the current flex duct is R2.

Thanks in advance for your advice -- I'm hoping to blow in another foot of fiberglass before summer arrives and want to cross this off the list first.

-DS

Old 04-10-10, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hmm. Could leave as is and reseal. However, best to get the Airman to give his opinion.

Old 04-11-10, 09:13 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If those or the only two options I would fix what you have. You will have even more air flow issues with going with the multiple Y and T's. Best bet would be to run a hard duct main trunk then go to each boot with flex.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: