Can't Get Honeywell RTH2310 To Work

Old 04-17-10, 08:28 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't Get A/C to Work w/ Honeywell RTH2310 Programmable T-Stat

Below is a diagram of the original thermostat wiring configuration:

The boxes are the color of wire coming from the wall feed.

The circles are the terminals on the t-stat.

The colored double arrows are jumper wires.

Below is a diagram of the Honeywell RTH2310, 5/2 programmable thermostat:

Items to note:

The original thermostat 'W' terminal was jumpered to the 'Y' terminal (Brown double arrow). There was no 'W' wire coming from the wall feed cable; therefore, there is no wire to attach to the 'W' terminal on the Honeywell.

The original thermostat 'RH' terminal was jumpered to the 'RC' terminal (Red double arrow). This jumper is installed on the Honeywell.

The original thermostat had a brown wire (Brn) connected to an 'O' terminal that does not exist on the Honeywell.

My understanding is that terminal 'G' is for fan activation, 'Y' is for A/C activation and 'W' is for heat activation and 'RH' and 'RC' for power.

However, when the yellow wire is connected to terminal 'Y', heated air (higher than ambient) blows from the air ducts. The compressor (if that's what it's called) on the outside A/C unit is on, but the exhaust fan is blowing cool air (cooler than ambient). This seems strange to me. Isn't the air exhausting from the outside unit supposed to be hot, not cool? It's almost as if the system is working backwards.

I also tried all possible combinations of the yellow and brown wire on terminals 'W' and 'Y'. None resulted in A/C.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Old 04-18-10, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
You have the wrong stat. You need a single stage heatpump stat with an O terminal to energize the reversing valve for cooling.

Most heatpumps have secondary heat strips and require multistage heatpump stats, but your first diagram did not show secondary strips. I only see this with geothermal heat pumps in my area.

Old 04-18-10, 07:26 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I don't even know what a heat pump is or how that differs from central air. That being said, we went to our local big box hardware store and, by sheer, dumb luck, picked up a (different) replacement Honeywell t-stat which happened to have the 'O' terminal. We hooked the brown wire to this terminal and, voila! Nice, cool air. Ahhhh, finally! The summer heat is coming, so we're glad to have gotten this working.

Tawni

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: