A/C Compressor fan not running

Old 04-19-10, 08:27 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

A few days ago I noticed my AC was not cooling. Checked the outside unit and the fan was not running. I can hear the compressor buzzing. I noticed a big ant nest under the compressor. Cleaned it out, I think the compressor is running. I don't think it is the capacitor since I replaced it not too long ago and when that failed the fan buzzed and turned a little. I don't think there is any power to the fan.

Old 04-19-10, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Its all guess work unless you check it. With thermostat calling for cooling is there 24v at the contactor coil and 220v coming into contactor from the disconnect?

If you don't have a meter turn off power to unit and see if fan spins freely, if so turn power on and try to spin fan blade with a stick, etc.

If fan spins more then likely the capacitor

Old 04-19-10, 10:51 AM
W

I will check that tonight. The thing that has me baffled is last time the capacitor failed it indicated a fault on the thermostat by blinking "cooling" status. This time there is no indication anything is wrong. Also there is another capacitor and according to the parts list it is called a dual capacitor, 35/5 MFD, 440V, Round W/O resistor. Any idea what this one is for?

Old 04-19-10, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When you say the fan I assume you mean the condensor fan motor, is that correct?

The capacitor you are refering to is a duel run cap for both the compressor and the condensor fan mtr. You should only have 1 capacitor to the fan motor.

How long ago did you replace the cap? Was it just a 5mfd motor cap?

Can you post a pic

Old 04-19-10, 12:05 PM
W
A/C condensor fan

Comments is Red
Originally Posted by dun11 View Post
When you say the fan I assume you mean the condensor fan motor, is that correct?
Yes you are correct

The capacitor you are refering to is a duel run cap for both the compressor and the condensor fan mtr. You should only have 1 capacitor to the fan motor.
I have 2 caps in the control compartment of my outside unit.
I have a parts list and it lists:
Start Capacitor, 135-155 MFD, 330V AC Round, W/Resistor (CS)
Dual Capacitor, 35/5 MFD, 440V Round, W/o Resistor

How long ago did you replace the cap? Was it just a 5mfd motor cap?
Summer before last

Can you post a pic
I can tonight

I need to check the contactor and make sure there is power to the fan also

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: