Thermostat set to "OFF", but some kind of fan still on "AUTO"

Old 04-21-10, 04:13 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat set to "OFF", but some kind of fan still on "AUTO"

I have the thermostat set to off, but frequently throughout the day some kind of fan still turns on and off by itself.

The AC unit is outside on the ground, and that is not what is turning on.

What is the most likely culprit?

I dont know much about HVAC. SO if I left out any important information please tell me what I need to supply, and I will do my best to do so!

Thanks for your time!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-10, 05:45 PM
E
if its an older unit they can turn on simply by it being too hot in the attic if thats where it is. your fan could be programmed to run certain times of the day with an electronic t stat or it could be some other problem.

Old 04-21-10, 06:05 PM
A
Originally Posted by ender2272 View Post
if its an older unit they can turn on simply by it being too hot in the attic if thats where it is. your fan could be programmed to run certain times of the day with an electronic t stat or it could be some other problem.
Thanks for responding Ender2272!

The unit cant be more than 7 years old as that is how old the house is.

Also, it has been doing it since we bought the house in December 2009. My energy bills have been pretty low, so I really never pursued it, but now its driving me nuts. I doubt its a heat issue since it did it throughout the winter.

There is some "kind" of unit in the attic, but assumed it dealt with heating since the AC unit was outside.

Is there anything I can look for in the attic that would tell me more?

What about the wiring to the thermostat? Should I check that to try and verify it is hooked up right?

Thanks!

Old 04-22-10, 07:31 AM
D
There may be a 'circulate' setting that is activated. This causes the fan to run periodically, when there is no call for heat or cool.

Could you post the model number of the stat?

Old 04-22-10, 10:54 AM
A
Originally Posted by delta l View Post
There may be a 'circulate' setting that is activated. This causes the fan to run periodically, when there is no call for heat or cool.

Could you post the model number of the stat?
The only identification I can find is on the front that states the manufacturer is "Totaline", and on the inside there is "P/N 0441".

I did a specific google search that showed another person having the same problem, but no response as to a fix. The only other results were people searching for manuals.

Totalines website offered no information or manual for that P/N.

I tried removing the front of the thermostat thinkining it would lift off by pushing up or down or side to side. I gave it some force, but was afraid to exert any more, as my experience tells me that if you have to exert THAT much force you probably arent doing it right.

Old 04-23-10, 05:22 PM
Before I go thinking into HVAC, go out in your backyard and look at the roof. Are there any upside down bowl looking things up there?

Could be an attic fan turning on to exhaust hot air from the attic.

Old 04-23-10, 06:34 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by azilluminati View Post
There is some "kind" of unit in the attic, but assumed it dealt with heating since the AC unit was outside.
The AC unit outside is only part of the AC system. The cooling coils are up in that furnace/air handler you have in the attic.

And it will have a blower motor inside there. And it may even have ventor fan for the furnace inside. And you may even have a condensate pump that has to get rid of condensate for both the furnace and AC.

Old 04-25-10, 08:34 AM
There can be a couple of things causing this.

-HRV (Air Exchanger system)

or

-Fan Cycler control.