A/C condenser not operating.

Old 04-23-10, 07:06 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C condenser not operating.

I have a York unit G8C10020MUD11A. The A/C stopped cooling a while ago. The guy that came out to troubleshoot it determined that the wiring was bad. I ended up finding a break in the wire a few feet from the furnace, which I fixed. This fixed the problem for a week. About 2 days ago, the A/C stopped cooling again. I noticed that the condenser was not operating again. I purchased a multimeter and verified that I was getting the 24VAC at the unit. I then verified that there was 246VAC at the contactor. I pressed in the contactor and the condenser came on. I then found and replaced the 24VAC single pole contactor. This did not fix the issue. I metered again the 24VAC but noticed that when I connected it to the terminals, the voltage disappeared.

I went into the furnace and disconnected the wires at the board and metered 24VAC at the terminals there. I then metered for a short and continuity of the wiring. I was getting an open and then 4.4ohms with one end shorted. I then tried a different, brand new, 2 pole contactor to see if the replacement single pole was bad but it wasn't. That contactor did not activate either. At this point, I am at a loss. I do not have a wiring diagram for the board/furnace, so I cannot verify that all are connected properly. I suspect the board may be the problem but I may be overlooking something here. Please provide any advice, which will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Larry

Old 04-24-10, 11:19 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
With mulitmeter still in hand, THEN what did you try to look for? Did you say (first kill the disconnect for the 240) remove the 24 volt wires and see if the 24 volts reappeared or not?

Old 04-24-10, 09:14 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
24VAC contactor

I metered for the 24 volts both with the terminals connected and disconnected. When they were connected, the voltage was not present, but when one or both are disconnected, the voltage was present.: Also, the voltage is constant, in other words, it never went away when the AC was turned off at the thermostat. The only way that I could get the voltage to go away was to trip the furnace circuit breaker. wall:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: