Trane XE1000 - Bad Capacitor or Fan?

Old 05-02-10, 08:51 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XE1000 - Bad Capacitor or Fan?

I have a Trane XE1000 outdoor unit that is behaving a bit oddly. The compressor kicks on just fine, but the fan does not turn.

The unit had not been run for almost a year, and when I first turned it on, the fan did not spin, but once I gave the blades a bit of a nudge it worked fine (I seem to remember them sticking a bit, but don't take my word for it)

Anyways, recently, I noticed the fan was spinning slowly, and today, not at all (although the compressor works just fine, and it's running off the same capacitor)

I tested the capacitor using a multimeter (just by resistance and charging it with the ohm function) and it seemed fine. There is absolutely no evidence of bulging or leaking at all.

I tried wiring the fan up straight to 220v and spinning the fan with a stick - the fan BARELY moved once I got it spinning, but there was no resistance when I applied force - it spun freely.

Time for a new fan motor, or should I keep looking at the capacitor?

Old 05-03-10, 01:21 PM
E
it is, by far, most definitely, for sure, totally.... the motor

Old 05-03-10, 09:18 PM
D
Are you sure it's not the capacitor?

Old 05-06-10, 04:11 PM
2 things you should do.....

Originally Posted by DominoTree
Are you sure it's not the capacitor?
......if you can test the cap with a meter that will tell u the value of the unit in mfd's and try to check the bearings by grabbing the shaft and see if you get any movement from side to side (not up and down). Sounds like it could be your bearings , if so , the motor is trash. If you replace it you can just use a single cap and just leave the comp'r. on the dual cap. it's cheaper...........good luck............JackBeer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: