Tempstar SmartComfort 2000 Outside Unit Not working

Old 05-03-10, 08:59 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tempstar SmartComfort 2000 Outside Unit Not working

Ok, here is some background information. I have an open service request being worked by AHS which has proven to be useless (probably not news to anyone but me). My outside unit has not worked properly since February. We've gone from being cold, to sweating.

Here is what is happening:

The unit generally starts working correctly after you disconnect power for a few ours. The fan runs. The compressor is running. The unit is cooling. The fan eventually stops working. The compressor is still running. It will continue to run until it gets too hot and shuts off.

Here is what has been replaced:

A fan motor.
A fan control board (which took several weeks to get)
Capacitor x2. Replaced once with the fan motor replacement and again by me.

Now, I have been waiting over 3 weeks for a defrost control board to come in.

So, here are a couple questions I have:

1 Is this likely the fix? Or is AHS penny pinching the contractor making him attempt the cheapest fix?

2 I understand these control boards can be bypassed. How easily can this be done?

I understand that bypassing the defrost control board could cause issues. I live in southeast Georgia, so I think it is likely safe to do it for a temporary fix. I am not very familiar with these systems, but I'm catching on.

Thanks

Old 05-03-10, 01:18 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
well for one, forget the defrost board this year, you wont need it till november because i hope u wont turn on the heat till then lol. but the problem might lie somewhere in that board because if u just replaced the fan motor it should not be going off on thermal overload, i imagine its hot when it goes off. u can bypass the board, but because i dont know anything about ur system it would be difficult to describe the process. i guess u should check that the capacitor for the fan is the right size(mf)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: