New ac unit?

Old 05-12-10, 12:08 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New ac unit?

Hi, My 3.5t, 12 year old, 12 seer condenser was damaged by a tree fall. The unit was a frigidaire. I got prices from two contractors and here is my problem. The first guy tells me if he replaces just the condenser with a unit 13 seer or greater he has to down size it 1/2t. He also is saying the only r22 units around are out of china and of low quality. Is this true? The second guy is saying he can get me a frigidaire 3.5t r22 replacement and down sizing not required. Who do i believe?
Being 12 years old should I have the air handler in the attic replaced? Should I upgrade to r4-10a?

Thanks
John

Old 05-12-10, 12:52 PM
E
well you should probably downgrade 1/2t since the new 13 seers are much more efficient. but idk if the r 22 units are made in china. but 12 years is kinda old, id go ahead and upgrade to r410 and new system

Old 05-12-10, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'd say you should look more at cost, I would think. The R22 will be around for another 10 yrs..though it may get more expensive later on.

Unless you have the money and it will qualify for rebates and tax credits (which even I know it won't)..I wouldn't think about redoing the system for R410. Go cheap now...lots of R22 systems are discounted..and start saving for a new system in 5 yrs or so.

I have a 20 yr old unit on my roof..but it still works great. I left behind a 17 y/o unit when I moved here...still worked great.

Old 05-12-10, 05:50 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
ender Again Seer rating has nothing to do with the size of the equipment! You are misleading people. The only way to know what size equipment you need is to do a heat load on the home!

At 12 years old both inside and outside should be replaced. When you do this I would go with at least a 15 seer.

Old 05-12-10, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by merlinroad2
Hi, My 3.5t, 12 year old, 12 seer condenser was damaged by a tree fall. The unit was a frigidaire. I got prices from two contractors and here is my problem. The first guy tells me if he replaces just the condenser with a unit 13 seer or greater he has to down size it 1/2t.
Originally Posted by ender2272
well you should probably downgrade 1/2t since the new 13 seers are much more efficient.
Never, ever, ever, ever mismatch systems. You can not put 13 seer ANYTHING on a 12 year old ANYTHING ELSE.

Tell BOTH contrctors to take a hike and keep looking until someone will do a load calc and recommend a system for that will meet the need of the home as is.

Old 05-18-10, 05:19 PM
Yep, need to do a room by room manual J load calc, & a manual D on the duct system/airflow design.
Look for things U can do to reduce the heat-gain.

If going 13-SEER or higher, U must change the evaporator coil.

If going to R-410A, I'd replace indoor coil & refrigerant lines.

A high quality installation & set-up is everything!

Last edited by HVAC RETIRED; 05-18-10 at 05:21 PM. Reason: ...things U can do to reduce the heat-gain

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: