A/C kicks on then starts making noise and stops cooling

Old 05-23-10, 10:59 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A/C kicks on then starts making noise and stops cooling

Our A/C was working fine till last year when a guy came out and charged the freon. Now, when the A/C kicks on, it starts out ok, but soon after, a loud obnoxious noise starts coming out of the condensing unit outside and the cold air gradually fades. I went out there and it seems like the fan wasn't turning. I took a stick and gave it a push and it spun, but didn't want to stay on??

I just took the cover off and the blades spin freely. No feeling like their is some sort of obstruction. Could the brushes be gone? I don't see service to the brushes.

We bought the house 3 years ago and not sure how old the condenser is.. maybe 10 years old?? The motor is 1/4 horse. What can I do to check?

The big black tank thing inside.. which i imagine is the freon pump? Can that be making the noise?

Why would the fan stop if it's the pump and not the motor? If it is the pump, what can be done?

If it's the motor, is their anyplace I can buy a replacement today? It's super hot, the wife is having her time of the month, and we have 4 kids!!! needless to say, she is not very happy right now!!!

Old 05-23-10, 05:49 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you have a voltmeter to test with?

If not and/or you prefer expert advise, you could take the motor and cap to a motor shop and they woud test to see which if either is bad, and probably have a replacement for you.

You probably have an induction motor not requiring brushes.

Old 05-24-10, 03:33 PM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ecman51`
Do you have a voltmeter to test with?

If not and/or you prefer expert advise, you could take the motor and cap to a motor shop and they woud test to see which if either is bad, and probably have a replacement for you.

You probably have an induction motor not requiring brushes.
I do have a voltmeter tester. However, I just took the capacitor and motor out and took it to a place that specializes and they tested it. It was the capacitor. AC running now and it's cooling the house down nicely. It was over 90 and it's already below 80!! Phew..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: