Both Fans On, Condenser Off, No Cold Air

Old 05-24-10, 06:18 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Both Fans On, Condenser Off, No Cold Air

We had a leak from a rusty overflow pan and backed up lines. When blowing it out and changing the pan, the coolant line was bumped and developed a leak. Unit was OFF at the breaker at the time. I resoldered the line.

A neighbor's nephew came by and vacuumed and recharged the unit. He was squeezing the visit in as a favor so couldn't stay to follow-up. Earliest he can come back is a week.

When I turned the unit back on, both the fan at the condenser came on and the air handler fan is on. The main a/c condenser doesn't start-up, no humming. It is very, very hot to the touch, but is cooling down. Once before it seemed to overheat and restarted in the morning. I have a gauge and wanted to double check the pressures - is there someplace to find what they should be? Both high and low are measuring at 75 psi right now.

Any suggestions on what to try? Really can't afford a whole new unit this month. Thanks.

Old 05-24-10, 06:54 PM
C
Update

The condenser finally came on, stayed for about 20 minutes then stopped again. Help!

Old 05-24-10, 08:55 PM
E
means your compressor is getting hot and shutting off, not much you can do about it except try a hard or kick start, u can install but i wouldnt expect it to help much if ur compressor overheats so quickly but you can try. sounds like you have to get a new unit or compressor. though i would make sure you have enough freon, cuz thats what keeps the compressor cool and make sure there are no kinks in the lineset.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: