Age of AC unit

Old 05-24-10, 06:25 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Age of AC unit

My first post!! looks like a great forum I know nothing about HVAC! But am attempting to educate myself a bit so I can add a duct and replace my system.
I purchased a house in SW FL last year. I was led to believe by the neighbors that the central split Ruud AC unit was about 18 years old. Everything is painted over or corroded so no help there determining age. I had a stuck contact/relay? over the weekend and noticed when I had the cover off there was a wiring schematic inside it.
The schematic shows a number 90_21592-01 and what appears to be a year, 1983. Is this a model #? Could this unit possibly be 27 years old??

Thanks in advance JIm

Old 05-24-10, 09:11 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
it might be a serial number but it is not a model number. and i dont know how to determine the age, but whether its 18 or 28 years the question is does it work well?

Old 05-25-10, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the response. I was doing a web search for a relay/contactor? I came up with a part# z12-90-21592-01-89RDWW. Do they sell parts by serial #?? Due to lack of info I am not going to order part from web. I will pay the going rate and make sure I get the right part. I may not even replace it, if separating the contacts keeps working as I will be replacing the unit.
Although obviously old the system works well. With the economy and rebates and credits, it seems like a good time to replace it.
JIm

Old 05-25-10, 02:57 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
contactors are simple, all they have to do is have the same coil voltage and be able to handle 240v and it will work as long as it has the same number of poles(place the wire goes into)

Old 05-27-10, 08:44 AM
Thanks for he responses!! I'm sure you are right contactors are simple. But I've learned that when I am not 100% sure to seek out professional help. So I take out the contactor and head off the the local HVAC store. I get there BIG sign on door WHOLESALE ONLY! Hey I'm more than willing to pay wholesale. I go in with part in hand and ask where I can go to buy a relay retail?? Guy says let me see it. Pokes around a bit, comments that it is real old, has no part number, not sure he can help.
Other guy at counter says it is just a standard single pole. goes to a shelf pulls out a box and says here this is what you need. Shows me that although it looks different the connectors are all the same. Charged me the better part of $30 and I'm on my way. Did they really charge me wholesale or is it false advertising??
Reinstall part refering to the dozen pictures I took, I love digital cameras. Turn on power and #@$%^& wont start!! Check breakers and switches, thermostat. Get multimeter out go to unit and it starts. Why do I always forget about the delay???
JIm

Old 05-27-10, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Well...I saw on several Internet sites that a single pole ran $22.50- $24 (no tax or shipping...I didn't go into it that far)...so your $30 sounds about right. Brick and mortar stores need to make a little profit.

Old 05-27-10, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jjrbus
So I take out the contactor and head off the the local HVAC store. I get there BIG sign on door WHOLESALE ONLY! Hey I'm more than willing to pay wholesale.
When they post "wholesale only" they mean the store sells only to HVAC professionals and not "retail" to the general public. So you're lucky they helped you....many "wholesale only" stores refuse sales to the general public. As to wholesale price...who knows? Since you aren't one of their "regular" HVAC service customers, I would guess you paid retail price.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: