A/C unit runs for 5 min. then stops cooling, have to hit reset button

Old 05-25-10, 09:36 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb A/C unit runs for 5 min. then stops cooling, have to hit reset button

The A/C unit at work will run for 5-10 minutes, then shut off. The inside fan continues to run, but blows hot air. Then one of the employees has to go outside and hit the reset button. This has been going on for years, but I'm trying to figure out if it is a bad "breaker (for lack of a better term)" or if it is something in the A/C unit itself. It is very frustrating since the company I work for will not spend the money to either fix/replace it. I was told the other day (by one of the owner's, nonetheless) that, "It CAN'T be fixed." Can someone please offer a suggestion as to what this problem might be?

Old 05-25-10, 03:15 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sounds like a rheem or a ruud unit going off on high head pressure. if thats the case, the small copper line from the outside unit would be hot or very warm. if so you would need to turn off all power, open up where the blades on the motor are and spray water from inside the unit to the outside; on the outdoor unit. But when you do this you also lower the suction pressure which might cause the unit to ice up and a tech would have to be called.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: