Please Help Air Condenser Fan not comming on

Old 05-27-10, 05:11 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please Help Air Condenser Fan not comming on

I have already used this forum a lot to educate myself on this problem but I do have a question now that I am hoping someone can help me with...

So my condenser fan is not working on my Goodman Ac unit model # CK24-1b....

Last night I found a test to see if it was my run capacitor which was to unhook the fan wire from the 30+5 uf cap and hook it to other lead on the same capacitor (which controls the condenser).

I did this and the fan came on and ran for about 20 minutes and than stopped and now does not run at all.. So I concluded that it was the capacitor. After getting one today and hooking it up, the fan still does not come on at all...

With this information do you think I should just conclude that it is the fan motor? I am unsure because I was able to get it to run for awhile last night. I am not sure if there is a difference in the capacitance of these two different leads that might cause the fan to act erratically.

Thanks for any help or suggestions any of you might have.

Old 05-27-10, 06:36 PM
A
I wanted to add the motor spins freely and doesn't start by pushing it with a stick

Old 05-27-10, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
It was probably only the capacitor, but you may have damaged the motor with your test.

Did you turn off the unit after the fan stopped?

Old 05-27-10, 07:35 PM
A
yes i turned it off as soon as I saw that the fan wasn't running....

I agree that really the only thing that makes sense is that the fan was damaged durring the test although it seems a little unlikely too.. Why would it run fine for 20 minutes?

Old 05-27-10, 07:55 PM
heat ?

I believe the fan motor on this unit (GE ?) has an internal overload that prevents it from damaging itself. Not sure, but something to look into. Let it cool down and see if it runs again.

Old 05-27-10, 08:13 PM
A
I retried starting the unit up a day after this happened with the new capacitor and it still didn't work...

Old 05-27-10, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hear that,

I guess your next step should be to check for amperage draw, or jumpering the fan wires to see if it runs.

Last edited by TtTankEngine; 05-27-10 at 08:52 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: