Best Window Air Conditioner Brand? Confused

Old 05-31-10, 02:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best Window Air Conditioner Brand? Confused

Hi. I need to purchase a window air conditioner and I am deciding between two models:
1. Friedrich CP18F30
2. Frigidare FRA186MT2
Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 05-31-10, 08:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
That Friedrich is a better brand and looks better.
They both have an energy efficiency ratio of 10.7.
The Friedrich removes 2.8 pints per hour and the Figidaire claims 5.5 pints per hour (of moisture).
MSRP is much higher on the Friedrich.
The Frigidaire has a little more capacity.
If the price was close I'd get the Friedrich.
I wouldn't pay almost twice the price though.

All Products / Air Conditioners & Dehumidifiers / Window-Mounted Air Conditioners / FRA186MT2

Friedrich | Compact Programmable: CP18F30 | Model Details

Old 06-01-10, 02:26 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

Is there any other brand that you would recommend?
I know that Friedrich has a line by Kuhl but it is a bit pricey.
I have a 230 volt outlet and my main concern is that it is an energy star model with the R-410A.
Thanks.

Old 06-01-10, 04:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I had a customer buy an AC from Sears. I installed it for her. It wouldn't run. It had a remote and fancy controls. Something the salesman swore it wouldn't have. So she was already upset. Tried new batteries in the remote, tried the panel controls. Did all the other things. It just didn't run. Sears refused to send someone out to check it. When I install an AC for a customer I don't just stick it in the window and pull out those energy wasting side panes. I custom fit plywood side panels, secure the AC so thieves can't remove it etc. I know should have checked before I installed it.

Pulled it out, took it back for a refund and went elsewhere. Next was A GE. Late in the day made the same stupid mistake. Installed with out thoroughly testing, but hey it was brand new. Well it did run. Ever dump a sack of gravel into a dry cement mixer? This one didn't have a separate sleeve so I had to actually remove the case. The wall the fan motor is fastened to was bent out of shape. I wanted to take it back but my customer wanted to get them out to look at it. The salesman had swore it would be no problem getting a repair person out before she bought it.

Well next day turned into a week of calls to India and allegedly no record of previous calls. I warned the customer it needed to be replaced. If it got banged around enough to bend the wall between the evap and condenser there might be leaks in the coils. I wasn't there when the repair person finally showed up. According to her he spent a half hour bending the wall back and forth till it finally stopped making noise. You guessed it three weeks later it froze up. I could continue with the saga but you get my point. I just don't trust new ACs.

Now in all fairness I do use a Kenmore but it had spent many years in a rental garage apartment before central air was installed. Cost me nothing and I knew it worked. It replaced a 25 year old Montgomery Ward unit that was still working when Monkey Ward went belly up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: