humming motor noise from ac unit after freezing up.

Old 06-02-10, 01:03 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question humming motor noise from ac unit after freezing up.

I have a 3 yr old AC/heating combo unit for my condo. Last week my wife decided to turn on the AC overnight because of the recent heat. When she turned it on she didnt reset the thermostat to a more respectable level (like 73), instead she left it at 67 degrees. The next morning the AC unit was all froozen up and the filter was was even frozen to the thin silver metallic things, which the air enters the unit. My neighbor downstairs actually complained about a motor noise running most the early morning. I turned the unit off but kept the fan running to defrost the ice, and changed the air filter.

Now to problem, maybe?

The last few days when I set my thermostat to 74 degrees, which I don't think is that cool, my AC unit runs all the time, and rarely shuts off. This is an all upstairs condo so the temp has been around 85ish before I even turn it on. Also I have noticed a low pitched motor noise that is barely noticable by my standards, but enough that my neighbor downstairs has mentioned it. This low pitched motor noise was not a common noise before the unit froze up. (which when it was frozen up, it was making a very noticable low pitched motor noise). Its seems to me that after it froze up, it isnt cooling as efficiently as it used to.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Old 06-02-10, 01:06 PM
E
a little more info.

The last few times ive set it to 74 degrees, it has taken all night to get to 74, When I set it lower than that, it never turns off. And doesnt seem to be able to lower the temp in the condo any further.

Old 06-02-10, 02:31 PM
E
could be a few things: motor is working intermittenly, making a low pitch noise when its not running. if the motor does not work, you WILL ice up coil. i say intermittent because you apparently saw it running when you changed the filter correct? if not i would check to see if it works at all.
you will also ice up your coil if you have a leak somewhere and you are low on freon, and your air coming out will not be very cold if you are low on freon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: