Heat Pump question

Old 06-04-10, 11:41 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump question

I have a Janitrol (Goodman) 2.5 ton heat pump that is all self-contained in the outside unit. When in cooling mode the inside fan of the unit runs constantly, even when the condenser and condenser fan isn't running. Is it normal for this circulating fan to run all the time? I was thinking it was only supposed to run when the thermostat called for it to kick on. Can someone explain? Thanks.

Old 06-04-10, 02:45 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is the fan switch in on or auto?

Old 06-04-10, 08:03 PM
G
Thermostat fan switch is on "Auto" at all times.

Old 06-05-10, 06:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Did this problem recently start (might indicate a short or bad relay), or has your unit done this since you moved in (might also indicate a wiring issue)?

Old 11-21-10, 08:46 AM
G
Originally Posted by Houston204
Did this problem recently start (might indicate a short or bad relay), or has your unit done this since you moved in (might also indicate a wiring issue)?
Sorry I've been away so long...but I found out what was going on. I had a leak and all the refrigerant had leaked out, so I guess it was trying to satisfy the thermostat by constantly running. I don't really know much about, but this is what an HVAC guy told me.

But now I have a new problem. It is now November and in Heating mode, and when the thermostat is on "Heat" the house gets colder, so I have use it in "Emergency Heat" to warm the house. I have called someone to come look at it but they haven't had time to get here yet. I'm thinking I should have invested in a better quality heat pump in the first place.

Old 11-21-10, 09:28 AM
S
You probably lost all of your refrigerant again, might be a pretty good size leak.
How old is this unit?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: