AC Drainage

Old 06-16-10, 10:07 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC Drainage

Hello,
I like to know that where should I drain ac water. When we move to our new house the ac water is draining at my backyard over the grass. It simply dripping from a small pipe coming out from the attic sidings and it is just center of the outer wall. But it was distroying my grass so I extend the line by using a PVC pipe and stretch it to the corner of the house where I have the splash block. But now its making a pool water at that spot. So my concen is that will it effect the foundation as this area has water all the time. And I'll be highly appricaited if you can also advise that what is the best place to drain the ac water and is that anyway I can utilise this water? Kind regards,

Old 06-16-10, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If it's creating so much water that you have a small pool of it...you must be in a very, very humid area.

In VA where it was pretty moist, I collected about 5 gallons a day in a bucket, and used it to water outside potted plants. Here in AZ, though I don't get even a gallon on the hottest days, I use it for houseplants.

You might also be able to route it to a storm drain or into the homes plumbing drains, though the last may be quite a bit of work (or very simple..depending on your house)

Old 06-16-10, 10:46 AM
F
You are right. I live very near to New Orleans, LA where the weather is very humid. I don't want to connect it to the house drainage as i'm not a professional and i also don't know how to do it. Anyway i like to know that is this pool going to effect my house foundation?

Old 06-16-10, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Yes...excess moisture in one spot like you describe can cause problems. Even worse if there is a basement w/o correct waterproofing and drain tiles installed.

Old 06-16-10, 01:06 PM
S
Around here (South Texas) a drain line coming to an eave is the secondary emergency line that drains water from the emergency pan when the air handler/coil are in the attic. The primary line is supposed to be draining the water and flowing probably into the waste system. I've never in my 64 years seen a primary line dripping from up high to the ground. As it is, if that secondary line gets filled with crud (and it will) it will backup the water and the pan will overflow and water will start coming through your ceiling. MAYBE I'm wrong, so I would have someone check the situation out.

Old 06-16-10, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Ahhh..never thought of this being a secondary..thanks for smacking me in the forehead..

Old 06-26-10, 01:18 PM
F
Ac Water

Hello,
I live near new orleans where himid is alway high. Like today is 52%. My ac is throwing 15 gl of water each day. So i wanna ask that is that normal or there something wrong. Thank.

Old 06-26-10, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
15 GALLONS? Thats a ton of water, IMO. Even back in VA I would maybe get 5 gal or so on the hottest most humid days, which prob aren't much less than what you get many days.

How big is the house..and how old. If a lot of outside air is leaking in to a larger home...I could probably believe 15gal. If the doors get opened and closed a lot (kids running in and out, etc) that will also allow a lot of humid warm air in.

Old 06-27-10, 09:12 PM
F
Its a 4 bed house. around 2400 sq ft. and 30 years old.

Old 06-28-10, 01:35 PM
F
And is there anyway i can check for the leak by myself. Pls note I'm not a profetional

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: