Home AC unit makes loud grinding noise upon startup...

Old 06-18-10, 01:59 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home AC unit makes loud grinding noise upon startup...

Hey guys, my ac unit outside once started makes a loud grinding/vibration noise. Only last for a few seconds, either its the full couple seconds or makes it for a second cause the ac did not kick on, waits about 5 seconds then trys to restart again, in which it will complete the grinding noise.

I have disconnected the condenser fan and it still makes the noise. I also replaced the capacitor cause the readings were off on the Fan side. Still makes the noise.

I live too far for a repair to make a trip out here without it costing at least $150 bucks for the trip charge.

Any idea's on what it could be?
really appreciate the help
-Chris

Old 06-18-10, 02:09 PM
M
Except for the fan and relay, all the other moving parts are inside the compressor. Try to verify where the noise originates. Use a stick or broom handle to link your ear to the compressor or relay.

Old 06-18-10, 02:46 PM
R
Originally Posted by Mike Speed 30 View Post
Except for the fan and relay, all the other moving parts are inside the compressor. Try to verify where the noise originates. Use a stick or broom handle to link your ear to the compressor or relay.
I tried doing that, units just so loud when its making that noise its hard to pin point where. Is there a relay im not seeing to check out?

I can see the three wires coming from the compressor... one of them (purple) runs to the H part of the capacitor, if thats not hooked up, would it not start the compressor and I can see if the noise stops when i turn the ac on? Or would that not be good to try?

Old 06-19-10, 12:46 PM
J
Sounds like liquid refrigerant floodback to the suction side of the compressor.

You probably need a technician to look at it. It's possible the system is overcharged or, may need a crankcase heater or, may need a non-bleed expansion valve & hard start kit or, may need a suction line accumulator.

Just throwing out a few possibilities but really can't say for sure from here.

Old 06-19-10, 07:12 PM
R
Its funny cause i just had a tune up done about two weeks prior ($250 bucks!) and he did say it was a tad bit low but not enough to notice a temp difference. This noise did it maybe once a week prior to it being serviced. Now two weeks later its every startup, I wonder if it may be overcharged.

After researching I think i may look into a hard-start kit, might be worth a try. Can I ask what I need to know to make sure I dont buy the wrong style and damage my unit?

Originally Posted by jim-connor View Post
Sounds like liquid refrigerant floodback to the suction side of the compressor.

You probably need a technician to look at it. It's possible the system is overcharged or, may need a crankcase heater or, may need a non-bleed expansion valve & hard start kit or, may need a suction line accumulator.

Just throwing out a few possibilities but really can't say for sure from here.

Old 06-19-10, 07:28 PM
M
ac problems

well sounds like your compressor trying to start but unable too, you need to check the amp draw of the compressor on start up, if is pulling L.R.A. then the compressor is seized, you can try a hard start kit which is connected to your capacitor on the compressor side but i think your compressor is shot, so its time to call an ac company out and get it replaced

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: