Window a/c unit and vinyl windows

Old 06-19-10, 10:52 AM
S
SBI
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window a/c unit and vinyl windows

Hello experts,

I need to install a window a/c unit in a small room. We have vinyl windows and I am pretty reluctant to drill holes in vinyl windows and/or the wood frame.
I should also mention that this is a second floor room and I cannot support the unit from the outside.
I tried a portable a/c...works great, tons of very cool air, but the noise is way to much to bear.

Any work around it?

Thanks.

Old 06-19-10, 07:42 PM
J
Most vinyl windows will NOT support any size window AC. The problem isn't the sill, it's the weight against the sash. You have to support it from outside.

Old 06-19-10, 07:53 PM
T
I installed a small window unit on a vinyl window. If it is a small unit, the window will support the weight. Just set it in and pull down the window and seal the sides off. I cut a small pc of wood and wedged it on the upper window so it wouldnt come open and the unit wouldnt fall out. Been like that for 2 years. Works great!

Old 06-19-10, 08:07 PM
J
Operative word there being "small".....

How will you know if it isn't ? Well, when you see the vinyl bowing in the middle of the sash, and the glass pops, you'll know that one was a hair too big....ahahahahaaaaaa

As I often tell folks "Hey...can't see it from my house....go for it"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: