(brand new)Rheem RGPR-10N-BRM blower unbalanced

Old 06-20-10, 02:31 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
(brand new)Rheem RGPR-10N-BRM blower unbalanced

A local authorized dealer just installed a Rheem two-stage condensing unit and a VS/ECM furnace. About the time their trucks were a mile from here (actually, an hour or two after they left) the blower motor began making gronking noises when it started up or slowed to a stop. (It made a noise while it was running, too, but I can't describe it. Scrapey?

I eventually looked inside the furnace and found that I could spin the squirrel cage and hear the noise. It's rubbing on something that sounds more like plastic than metal.

The outboard end of the blower shaft is held by a not-particularly-substantial spider, and I found I could make the rubbing noise go away by giving that shaft a firm push toward the back of the furnace (with the furnace off) and letting go. Putting the covers back on and running it, the noise was gone for several minutes, but came back eventually.

Is this "expected" behavior that can be easily fixed with an adjusting screw or something, or a sample defect? The fact that it worked quietly for a couple of hours and then decided to act up for no obvious reason bothers me.

I'll talk to dealer and perhaps Rheem themselves Monday morning, but meanwhile any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Old 06-20-10, 03:12 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Sounds like they just need to move the fan cage on the shaft!

Old 06-20-10, 11:20 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
Sounds like they just need to move the fan cage on the shaft!
I wish!

The squirrel cage is well centered, decent clearance to the housing at both ends. I can make it spin quietly by applying moderate pressure e.g. by tightening the bolt holding the rotor on the shaft, but after running the system for a few minutes it appears to relax back to its "normal" noisy position.

[I finally figured out that the scronk was caused by the rubber bushing the outboard end of the motor shaft rides in, and a little spray lube made it go away (for a while - the motor makes a gentle putt-putt at maybe 10/second, which is probably not normal)]

Last edited by PoorJohn; 06-20-10 at 11:51 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: