Trane XE1000 outside fan needs help starting

Old 06-21-10, 11:28 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XE1000 outside fan needs help starting

The house cools fine until cool temp reached and fan kicks off. When temp rises and unit kicks back on, the compressor seems to be running, but no fan. If I push start the fine, the house cools fine.

I checked the start capacitor, and it looked good as well as charged via a DVM while checking. I would have thought it should have to be discharged, but there appears to be no charge. Just in case, I got a new start cap and replaced. Same problem. Is there a test to verify it is storing a charge?

If not the start cap, then I'm at a loss since the fan motor and run capacitor seem fine when running after nudging the fan to turn. Any ideas?

Old 06-21-10, 01:43 PM
E
try looking for a tab on the condenser fan motor, should be yellow if you have one. you can pull out the tabs and spray some wd40 in it. the fan motor stops every once in a while, soon it will be every day, then every few hours and is only a matter of time before it locks up completely. you should replace the condenser fan motor

Old 09-26-10, 02:49 PM
B
I am having a similar issue. Compressor is running, but no fan. I have had a technician out 3 times and everytime he says it is another issue and charges me $300. He already replaced the fan and the capacitor. It looks kind of like he replaced the capacitor with a used one (maybe it was just rolling around in his tool box). Is there something I can check, possibly the capacitor is not working properly. It is a round, dual capacitor, working the compressor and the fan, The compessor seems to be working OK. I don't know if it's worth the additional cost since the unit is 10 years old.

Old 09-26-10, 03:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
It is not difficult to test a capacitor with the right meter.
Do you have a heat pump?
Did you get an OEM motor or a universal?

Old 09-26-10, 05:02 PM
B
Trane XE1000 fan not working

Originally Posted by Houston204
It is not difficult to test a capacitor with the right meter.
Do you have a heat pump?
Did you get an OEM motor or a universal?
It is a heat pump. The motor was a universal.

Old 09-26-10, 10:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've seen universal motors "over amp" in Trane units before.
The defrost timer will also control fan motor operation.

A meter that can measure amperage, capacitance and voltage would be of great assistance here.

Old 09-27-10, 02:06 AM
B
I have a FLUKE meter and can use it well. Is it a multitester you're talking about, or some special tool for AC. I am pretty good with this sort of thing, but havent had the time in the past. When it looks like a lot more money is goingto be involved, I'll make the time. I appreciate your help.

Old 09-27-10, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have an amp attachment for your meter, clamp it around the black wire to your fan motor while it is running. Compare your amperage with the FLA displayed on the motor tag.

Fluke uses the polarized capacitor symbol on many of their meters.

If you can help the fan start and see it run, you are getting voltage. I'd still measure it.

Old 09-27-10, 10:03 PM
B
Thanks for the help, I'll give that a try when I get back home this weekend.

Old 09-30-10, 04:58 PM
B
It has a single round dual capacitor. No label on it. What should I look for when purchasing another one. I'm guessing that there will be stamped numbers on it somewhere. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: