Heat pump starts... struggles... THEN turns off.

Old 06-24-10, 08:36 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat pump starts... struggles... THEN turns off.

I posted this somewhere else, but I think I may have a different issue. Basically, my system has been working great all last winter and this summer (almost lived in our home for a year). Two nights ago, I feel warm-ish air coming out the vents. The air blower is activated and the thermostat sending "cool" signals to the system, but the outside unit isn't on. It just makes that whining noise that usually comes before the unit kicks on (I always thought that was a priming mechanism, but I want to mention it just in case its important).

I power-cycle the system. After leaving it for half an hour so all electricity leaves the system, I power it back on. This is in the evening as it's cooling down from a 95 degree day. The system makes it's little "priming whine" again and thank God Almighty it starts. It doesn't sound like it's "humming" (AKA, running at a constant RPM) like it should, but the air coming out of the vents is, indeed, cold. After less than a minute, it shuts off and returns to just making it's whining sound.

Currently, the heat pump is shut off, I have the air handler circulating the air in my home and I bought a small window a/c unit so my wife and study and focus on her school work (we're a young couple and she still has a year to graduate). Any idea what this could be? Honestly, it sounds "above my paygrade" to fix, but I saw someone mention it could be something simple to fix like a contactor. The fact that the unit doesn't get "stuck" in either on or off position makes me think its something else.

Any ideas?

Old 06-24-10, 09:03 AM
M
PS, because I saw it in another thread, I CAN spin the fan on top of the unit freely with a stick. Because the unit actually did "kick back on", can I assume (dear God) that the compressor isn't toast or is that still in play?

Old 06-26-10, 11:32 AM
E
does sound like compressor but all hope is not lost yet. could be compressor gets hot when trying to start and after it runs for a minute it gets too hot. check your start capacitor for a puffed top and check ur freon levels, make sure big line to outdoor unit is very cold. also a hard start might be a good idea if the cap doesnt fix it but honestly i think ur gonna need a new compressor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: