Thermostat problem and replacement

Old 06-26-10, 07:21 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermostat problem and replacement

Hi, my house has a Goodman CHT18-60 thermostat that controls heating and cooling. Recently, the thermostat runs into a peculiar problem: it no longer stops AC. If I push the temperature setting lever to a point that the AC starts to run, then the AC keeps running, even when the room where the thermostat is is already cool. I have to pull the lever backwards to stop the AC. Is there any simple solution?

I don't see CHT18-60 in local Home Depot where there are many other brands/types of thermostats. Which brand/model can replace CHT18-60? I read about low voltage, line voltage. Do all thermostats have same standard mounting? In other words, can a replacement thermostat reuse the same screw holes on the wall?

Thank you very much!

Old 06-26-10, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Looks like you have a 1 stage heat / 1 stage cool 4 wire stat with R, W, G and 2 terminals.

Many digital stats require a fith wire for C (common). I recommend a honeywell stat that can also sub batteries for this.

Do you have gas heat?

If both stats are horizontal, you will probably be able to use the same screw holes.

Old 06-26-10, 01:45 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for replying.

Yes, the CHT18-60 is a 1 stage t-stat, with 4 wires, R, W, G, and Y. Not that I know much, I searched the internet to find that it's 1 stage and is low voltage, and I opened it to see 4 wires.

What is "2 terminals"?

I have gas heat.

So any low voltage t-stat would work? I read (again on internet) that there are 24V, 30V, and 38V t-stats, confusing.

Originally Posted by Houston204
Looks like you have a 1 stage heat / 1 stage cool 4 wire stat with R, W, G and 2 terminals.

Many digital stats require a fith wire for C (common). I recommend a honeywell stat that can also sub batteries for this.

Do you have gas heat?

If both stats are horizontal, you will probably be able to use the same screw holes.

Old 06-26-10, 02:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
R = 24 volt power
G = fan
Y = cool
W = heat

The 2 terminal would have been something to look into further.
They will support 24 volt operation (plus or minus...)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: