need help figuring how they order fan blades for specific motors.

Old 06-26-10, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down need help figuring how they order fan blades for specific motors.

I am an electrician and I have a customer that had a ac outside condensor fan blade rust off his motor. The motor is no good as well. I need to order a new motor and a new fan to match the old motor. How do i measure the fan to order it? The motor is a Fasco d1701 motor and the unit is a weird unit used for an indoor pool room. If you can e mail me at [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-10, 06:49 PM
Blades...

Well can you contact the manufacturer? You can also get what is left of the blades and try to piece it together to get pitch and circumference and whether it is CW or CCW rotation. If not you will have to just measure the opening to get circumference. If it is a condensing unit it will have airflow coming out the top with air entering through the condenser and out the top. You can get a CW blade if the motor you are replacing is CW rotation.
CCW if it is oppisite. The trick part is the pitch of the blades. The more pitch the more airflow; thus more amperage draw on motor; and if too much or too little ariflow your pressures won't be right. That's why I said to see if you can tell anything from what is left of the blade that come off of it.
Worst case you will have to get a blade that fits in the opening without hitting shroud around 1" room and the right rotation for the motor. If you can only get one rotation you can just change motor rotation. You will have to guess the pitch start with 22 degrees and see how that works. Hopefully the supply house will understand your dilema and let you exchange it for a different pitch. Like I said the pitch will be the bugger to figure out but if you have some of the old blade you can take it to them and the can get the pitch.
Later, Martyl.

Old 06-26-10, 08:06 PM

I went to the local supply house jonhstone and they said they wont help me because i am not a ac man with an account. Also the middle part of the fan blade is rusted. I guess what i mean is the piece where the shaft would connect is rusted out. What is the difference between cw and ccw rotation?

Old 06-26-10, 08:58 PM
Hey,

Cw is clockwise rotation and fan blades have that designation on them. They are made to run either in a CW or CCW direction depending on the motor. If the motor runs in a CW clock wise diretion while looking at with the shaft pointing at you then you need a CW blade. If it runs counter clockwise than you need a CCW blade. Clockwise CW is the direction that the hands of a clock move. You have to get a blade from somewhere, try an HVAC Dealer, or you could order one online from one like Grainger.
Try to hold what is left of blade against a protractor and guess the pitch angle of blade as best you can. Then measure the opening and subtract at least an inch, I would do two. Also you need to make sure the center hub of the fan you do get fits on the motor shaft. Don't forget any allen screws or bolts to hold fan onto motor shaft. Hope this helps.
Go to Grainger.com and you can find anything that has to do with AC/Heat, etc there.

Old 06-26-10, 09:06 PM
One last thing...

If the supply house where you live won't sell to you; Tell them you are an electrician and want to open an account. It doesn't cost anything to open an account. They do this as they don't want just anyone working on ac especially since the EPA now regulates this stuff. We have a supply house here, called CC Dickson and they will sell anything except refrigerants unless you are certified and have your card.
Maybe a place that Installs AC in your area may have a blade you can get, maybe even a used one. If all else fails...there's always Flea-bay.

Old 06-26-10, 09:48 PM
i get conflicting reports on here. some mods say granger won't sell to home owners other say they will. is this the motor Amazon.com: 1/3hp 1075RPM 2-Speed 5.6" Diameter 208-230 Volts Fasco # D1701:…

* 2.2 amps @ 230 Volts 60hz.
* Shaft: 1/2" x 6 1/2" Rotation = Reversible - Bolt Circle - 5.2"
* Belly Band Mount or Base Mount - Required 7.5 MFD 370V Capacitor Included
* Motor Length Less Shaft = 5"
* 1 Year Manufacture Warranty

reversible so it will work with whatever blade you can get

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...h=1&sst=subset

says business to business

Old 06-26-10, 10:50 PM
That's good

Now all you need is a blade that will match the original and you're all set. I would check online someone should have one.

Old 06-27-10, 05:19 AM
Question one other question

I am ordering the Fasco 1701 motor. I see some have a 1/2 by 5 1/2 inch and then some have a 1/2 by 6 inch shaft. Is the 1/2 inch part always the same like from the old motor and will that be where you connect the fan to and do i need a 1/2 shaft size fan blade? If I find out the rotation of the motor and know it is a half inch shaft and also find out the pitch of the fan blade can i buy a universal fan blade *with the right diamiter)that is made to fit that 1/2 shaft. Also how do i measure diamter of the current fan blade (so i can get a new one)

Old 06-27-10, 06:04 AM
Arrow flirty

yes that is the motor. It is reversible so does that mean I can get a cw or ccw blade? Also what does bolt cycle represent? and can the shaft be cut if it is too high? The blade faces up to the sky in this unit. The unit is part of a condensing unit for a indoor pool room central ac unit. I am working for a Doctor in Long Island he has a huge house and he is paying me $35 a hour to fix stuff. What would a real A/C man charge to find the motor and go and replace the motor in the 2 million dollar home? Truly sorry I have so many questions. I am a great electrician and I definetly am going to school for A/C HVAC. I was wondering if I could take one of those 40 hour ac courses? Do you recommend any specific ones? I see they have like seminar classes that travel to cities. Also do I have to just take a test to get a EPA license or do i need school first? In case I want to start a business being a service tech and doing start ups.

Old 06-27-10, 10:05 AM
The best way to get the blade, or at least get the specs of it, are to look up the parts list for the condensing unit. What brand and model is that???

Old 06-27-10, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by robgreeenfield View Post
yes that is the motor. It is reversible so does that mean I can get a cw or ccw blade? Also what does bolt cycle represent? and can the shaft be cut if it is too high? The blade faces up to the sky in this unit. The unit is part of a condensing unit for a indoor pool room central ac unit. I am working for a Doctor in Long Island he has a huge house and he is paying me $35 a hour to fix stuff. What would a real A/C man charge to find the motor and go and replace the motor in the 2 million dollar home? Truly sorry I have so many questions. I am a great electrician and I definetly am going to school for A/C HVAC. I was wondering if I could take one of those 40 hour ac courses? Do you recommend any specific ones? I see they have like seminar classes that travel to cities. Also do I have to just take a test to get a EPA license or do i need school first? In case I want to start a business being a service tech and doing start ups.
bolt Circle is how the screws are mounted and spaced sense its reversible you can get either a CW or CCW rotating blade so it makes it easier if the original is no longer made. how long is the old shaft

Last edited by flirty1; 06-27-10 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-27-10, 05:46 PM
origional one

The origional unit does not have any markings or brand on it. How do I measure diameter of fan blade and how do i measure the shaft on the old motor? Also I would like to know how to measure diameter of shaft too.

Old 07-11-10, 11:43 PM
I found some blades here

Blower Wheels/Fans

just go with the specs on the motor you ordered for shaft size.