Condenser Fan Rotating the Wrong Direction

Old 06-27-10, 12:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condenser Fan Rotating the Wrong Direction

My air conditioning went the other day with it 102 outside in Virginia!
Anyway, here's what happened. I heard the condenser making a wierd noise and then it shut down. I went and sprayed it with a shot of water to cool it down and got the fan to turn back on. At that point, it was blowing pretty warm air but the fan seemed to be running wierd-- seemed slower.

I had a guy come out today and he replaced the start capacitor. It cranked up ok, but there still wasn't something right about the fan-- still seemed slower than normal.
Well, I came to realize, after the tech left, that the fan is rotating the wrong direction. It's sucking air in the top and forcing it out the coils.
So what has gone wrong here and what do I need to do to fix it? Can the start or run capacitor (whatever you call it) change the polarity of the fan and make it rotate the opposite direction?

Old 06-27-10, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Turn off the unit, to avoid possible damage.
What is the make and model of your outdoor unit?
Post the color and amount of wires at the dual capacitor terminals.Herm = ? , C =? , Fan = ?

This color code varies with brand.
The wiring diagram should help.

(Dual cap example...)

Caps can hold a charge for a few minutes after removing power.

Old 06-27-10, 05:15 PM
E
yes a bad capacitor can cause the fan to run backwards.

Old 06-27-10, 05:19 PM
J
The Model is a Goodman CK30-1a. I attached the new capacitor so you can see how it's wired, plus the wiring diagram on the condenser unit itself. Looks to me to be wired incorrectly. Your thoughts.

Do I need to discharge that capacitor before plugging and unplugging it. If so, how do I do that.

Thanks

Old 06-27-10, 07:51 PM
J
Didn't hear back from anyone on this so I went out and changed the wiring according to the schematic (attached the Yellow wire to the HERM and the purple/red wires to the "C") and everything is working fine. Fan has changed rotation so it is now dispensing air out the top and the fan is running at normal speed.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: