AC Duct Condensation First Floor Ceiling

Old 06-29-10, 08:46 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AC Duct Condensation First Floor Ceiling

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help with the mystery of what might be causing this and how to best deal with it. A week ago I noticed a wet spot on the first floor ceiling. After calling a plumber in, we realized that it wasn't from pipes. The plumber cut a hole in the ceiling and noticed that the ac ducts had no insulation. It was just the black flexible duct. It was covered with condensation. A photo of the space behind the drywall showed a water trail following the entire duct.

Here's the mystery... The house is 12 years old and does not appear to have had this problem. Additionally, I removed the grill and duct box in another spot in another room and saw no trace of condensation. That run of duct had no insulation either. Though this was in another room, it's a big open floor plan and the other spot was only 5-10 feet away.

Obviously, I'm going to have to rip open the ceiling and have an AC guy wrap the duct work. I'm hoping I only have to do this for the segment that is experiencing condensation, as it appears the issue is isolated to that area. Additionally, it may only be a problem in that area because a portion of that room is not covered by the 2nd floor. There is a first floor roof line with vented soffit that may be letting humid air into that section of the ceiling.

So, what do you think is causing this issue after 12 years and why only that section. Also, what would you do to fix it. Would you fix the entire duct system for that floor or just the affected area? The ac guy cautions that eventually swapping out the compressor may make the situation worse and recommended a full tear out - of course he did.

Old 06-30-10, 12:59 AM
S
If it were my place I would install all new insulated flex duct. It's really a minimum std, your losing cool air to the attic before it gets into the rooms. INVEST in new ducts.

Old 06-30-10, 06:16 AM
J
Originally Posted by srercrcr
If it were my place I would install all new insulated flex duct. It's really a minimum std, your losing cool air to the attic before it gets into the rooms. INVEST in new ducts.
The issue isn't in the attic. It's in the ceiling between floor 1 and 2. Attic is fine and well insulated. Ducts in attic probably measure 30inch diameter with insulation.

Old 06-30-10, 06:38 AM
C
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Before you do anything, find out why only after 12 years ?????

Old 07-25-10, 03:50 PM
V
I have the same problem

I can't believe that someone has the exact problem. I've had a lot of head scratching from "experts". Everyone has said to cut out the ceiling and insulate all the duct work. What have you done to solve your problem? Thanks

Old 07-25-10, 05:24 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Flex duct is a very bad idea above a finished celling u should go hard duct!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: